Posts: 20 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden..Where polar bears roams the streets
Who cares?

New year,new phone :-)

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Oh come on guys, what on earth is with all these "Maemo6 won't run on my N900!" fears and rumours?? Wake up and smell the coffee here, the only reason Maemo 5 doesn't run on the N8x0's is because they added so much hardware changes and extra support for the N900 that it just didn't make sense, the experience would have been wasted on older devices. Even with that said, if the N8x0 3D drivers eventually get community driven support and built up you may yet see a "some features missing" Maemo5 on N8x0...

So going on that basis, why on earth would Maemo6 NOT work on N900? Will it be targetting a faster CPU? Seeing as how Omap3 has been under devel and previewing for the last two years, and only just now showing up on devices this year, I don't see any evidence/talk of Omap4 comming and "kicking Omap3 into the trash can" within a year. Sure, new device could have some alternative/extra features like a digital compass, USB OTG, etc... but then it's more like N810 vs N800... slight feature changes, but still the same underlying platform.

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
peeps just like to complain for the sake of it.

Enjoy the n900 as is and let the future take care of the future. Learn to live for the moment.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Typical Nokia crap. I wouldn't be worried that the next phone is supposed to come out in 2010...that's about the usual life span of a cellphone. They are changing to Maemo6 though so you know what this means. Maemo5 is dead already and it just came out. This is hilarious. If anyone is waiting for all the bugs in Maemo5 to be fixed...don't hold your breath

This will be my last Nokia device if they do not fix the issues with it. Also, they will be even more irrelevant in another year with all the cool phones coming out left and right from other manufacturers so Maemo6 might be a non event when it comes out next year.
I really hope it will be your last Nokia phone so you will no longer come here and rant like a nutcase

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I think what we're going to see instead is either of two things:

a) Nokia officially supports N900 with Maemo 6 or...
b) The community makes it's own version of Maemo 6 that does work on the N900, much like it has previously done with the "hacker edition" versions of OS2007 and OS2008 for the 770.

Honestly, I don't think N900 owners will have much to worry about. I'm sure they will be able to use Maemo 6 one way or another.
a) Nokia never supported the N810 with Maemo 5
b) The community has not yet made it's own version of Maemo 5 that works on the N810.

The excuse Nokia offered as to why Maemo 5 could not be made backward compatible with the N810 is that OMAP 3 was too different from OMAP 2. In late 2010, they had better be running OMAP 4 if they are going to compete.

I would guess that the N900 and Maemo 5 will get an update around the end of 2009 and one about six months later. After that, it will be a relatively stable legacy product like Maemo 4.

It's not in Nokia's interest to waste time and money (not to mention increase the code base size and complexity) to build in backward compatibility. They don't sell the OS, they sell the hardware. New feature, new phone, new revenue.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
a) Nokia never supported the N810 with Maemo 5
b) The community has not yet made it's own version of Maemo 5 that works on the N810.

The excuse Nokia offered as to why Maemo 5 could not be made backward compatible with the N810 is that OMAP 3 was too different from OMAP 2. In late 2010, they had better be running OMAP 4 if they are going to compete.

I would guess that the N900 and Maemo 5 will get an update around the end of 2009 and one about six months later. After that, it will be a relatively stable legacy product like Maemo 4.

It's not in Nokia's interest to waste time and money (not to mention increase the code base size and complexity) to build in backward compatibility. They don't sell the OS, they sell the hardware. New feature, new phone, new revenue.
a) It's not that OMAP3 is too different... it's that the N810 just simply can't handle the computational requirements of Maemo 5.
b) It's called Mer.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Take a look at WinMo OS, you can upgrade to the latest WinMO though your device is like 2 to 3 years old.
You can? Where? HTC is the only company ever to offer such a thing on a few phones, previously and with most other devices you were STUCK on whatever WM version you happened to get with your device.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Seems like everyone is forgetting that some others offer free software upgrades because of overpaid and minimal hardware upgrades.

Unlike first crappy iPhone/Android OS devices, first (phone capable) Maemo OS device (N900) doesn't have gigantic rooms for improvement at hardware at the time of release; so it may sound reasonable to pay for new software in a new hardware.

But if next Maemo device doesn't come with enough hardware improvements, it will fall to the same league with "the others" so you can reasonably expect free software upgrades, though I expect N900 to be upgradable to Maemo 6 whether next Maemo device is again filled up hardware-wise or not.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
a) It's not that OMAP3 is too different... it's that the N810 just simply can't handle the computational requirements of Maemo 5.
b) It's called Mer.
a) and that will be the excuse for Maemo 6
b) even the people who are working on it don't claim Mer is ready

I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think I will be. I think the N900 will end up with a more stable OS but it will be Maemo 5. It will end up with a more expansive suite of possible applications but their development will taper off as well.

A year and a half from now (because I don't trust Nokia release dates anymore) there will be an N1000 running Maemo 6. If you want to run Maemo 6 you'll need to buy it.

P.S.

a) We expect an API break between Maemo 4 and Maemo 5, mainly due to the OMAP3 support, the hardware-based graphics acceleration and the changes in the Desktop UI and the Realtime Communication framework.
http://maemo.org/news/announcements/...rm_developers/

b) Mer is a work-in-progress and is not yet day-to-day usable. We are getting there, but don't expect too much of it.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Releases/0.16

Last edited by DaveP1; 2009-12-02 at 21:56. Reason: added P.S. to reflect additional information

Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
I really hope it will be your last Nokia phone so you will no longer come here and rant like a nutcase
Speaking of nutcases...You think you can actually say something on topic or do you insist on making more ironic posts like the one above?