Notices

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dundee
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Yeah, I think I can wait.

I hope there will be soon an easy way to install these basic tools on N900.
Me too, for that matter. Ill be in same boat no doubt.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
Yeah :/ Unfortunately the app repositories aren't quite up to snuff yet. There are quite a few apps in extras-testing and extras-devel that are probably fine, but they won't be promoted until they've seen some more ...well, testing There just aren't enough devices in the wild yet; I'm sure things will start moving along pretty quickly.
I'm thinking that the vast majority of problems resulting from testing/devel could be quickly fixed with a little work in the shell, or worst-case a reflash, but in reality I don't think the wait will be too long before the useful stuff makes its way into extras (are they calling it 'applications' now?).

The Following User Says Thank You to jiiv For This Useful Post:
I can't get VNC to work :-( I've installed VNCViewer on my phone. I then use the free version of RealVNC on my Windows 7 PC.
I know it's connected cause it asks for the password when I try and connect from the phone. However all I get is a black screen on my N900?

Could someone help me please?

My Blog

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Nottingham, UK
Mine didn't work at first. I played around for a bit trying :0 etc and disabling firewall, nothing made a difference. Setting Encryption to "Prefer On" on the server seemed to fix it. Just straight forward 192.168.x.y on client too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tanekray For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tanekray View Post
Mine didn't work at first. I played around for a bit trying :0 etc and disabling firewall, nothing made a difference. Setting Encryption to "Prefer On" on the server seemed to fix it. Just straight forward 192.168.x.y on client too.
Pity that I didn't see this before, because I just resolved this myslef after hours spent finding a good packet sniffer for Windows (SmartSniff is nice ) and finding out what was the problem. It turns out that there were two different issues.

1. It turns out that the VNC Viewer does not like it when Encryption is set to "Always on". "Prefer on" or "Prefer off" always work. Now I had tried this already and it didn't work. This brings to the second issue.

2. If you try too many times (more then 5 in RealVNC default setting) the host will be blacklisted. You can change temporally the BlacklistThreshold in Expert setting to a higher number to be able to try again. After this the solution 1 should work.

I hope this is helpful for other who have issues with getting VNC Viewer to work.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
1. It turns out that the VNC Viewer does not like it when Encryption is set to "Always on". "Prefer on" or "Prefer off" always work. Now I had tried this already and it didn't work. This brings to the second issue.

2. If you try too many times (more then 5 in RealVNC default setting) the host will be blacklisted. You can change temporally the BlacklistThreshold in Expert setting to a higher number to be able to try again. After this the solution 1 should work.
These issues are both specific to the commercial VNC offerings (Enterprise/Personal) - the free version doesn't include any encryption or blacklisting. The maemo vncviewer will be based on the free codebase, so that's why encryption has to be disableable for it to connect.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
I can't find any of those options in the free version.

Should I maybe get a better version of realVNC?

My Blog

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I don't think the free edition supports Windows 7 currently (or even Vista), so various things may not work properly. Have you made sure that connecting from another PC actually works? If not, then it's a server problem.

yeah the free edition does NOT support Vista and by extension Windows 7. Licensed personnel and profession edition do.

You can try the trial version to test it out though.

2d

The Following User Says Thank You to 2disbetter For This Useful Post:
I just managed to get vnc to work...
I'm on Windows 7, behind a linksys router and Kaspersky's firewall and I didn't deactivate any protection.
First, connect using your address IP that is NOT local (In my case, 24.122.XXX.XX). On my router, I redirected port 5900 to my LOCAL ip adress which is 192.168.1.101 (for my laptop).

I needed to download VNC personnal edition, because I use Windows 7, and you need to change encryption settings.

Good luck!