Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by MrWh1t3 View Post
And people honestly argue with phones like Android and Iphone supporting right out of the box?
Thanks for your 'contribution' in this thread. It was really helpfull.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Working now. Here's what I did:
  • Made sure the Google calendar is complete (make backups!!)
  • Removed all items from N900 local calendar (calendar->settings->Edit calendars->N900->Delete->Yes on delete all entries)
  • Set sync settings on sync all instead of 'last two weeks' (settings->exchange sync settings)
  • Pushed the manual sync button
  • Wait till done
  • Set sync settings to 'last two weeks'
  • Added item to local calendar
  • Manual sync again
  • Verified result

The Following User Says Thank You to robbie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Also wishing there was a way to sync with Google for my various PIM data, the kind of solution we want isn't readily available. Still I needed a way to sync the data and have taken a pragmatic approach that at least meets my needs if not my desires. To start my N810 is my primary PIM data entry and viewing device so I proceeded with that in mind. There does exist a set of PIM "GPE" applications that work reasonably well on the tablet. As it turns out these aps also run in Ubuntu and the aps are sqlite and file compatible across platforms. The GPE aps became my foundation. Using GPE-calendar I can use erminig to sync with Google and it works well if event entry occurs on the tablet. For email I use Gmail with IMAP and modest on the tablet since it performs better than using the browser with the Gmail web ap that I use when running my Ubuntu platforms. Contacts are the least integrated since modest wont use the GPE-contacts. I've added Notecase to the mix for keeping free form text data encrypted, e.g. credit card numbers. Notecase also run in Ubuntu and is DB file compatible between platforms. I use either USB cable or Bluetooth to transfer files with Ubuntu. On Ubuntu I use Unison to keep my Desktop and Laptop in sync. I'm starting to use DialCentral on the tablet which interfaces with Google Voice. Not perfectly clean but still usable until something better come along.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
I have google multicalendar support one way sync working. It is command line only for the moment but supports multiple google accounts also.

Once I get some kind of basic UI on it, I will push to extras-devel. Anyone curious can look at the code at http://github.com/zaheerm/mgcalsync

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
You could switch to either Weave Sync (Mozilla add-on) or Xmarks (works both on Mozilla and Chrome). IMO they are much better than Google Bookmarks.

For example: Weave Sync (and Xmarks) lets you securely take your bookmarks, history, tabs and passwords on any computer you use.
Thanks for that heads up I'll try both of those :-)

My Blog

Many thanks to robbie!
I had difficulties to sync Calendar with Google, but when I cleaned N900-calendar and tried again it worked. (I had previously imported calendar and contacts from my Nokia N82)
It seems that first time synchronization only works with empty calendar.

Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
I have google multicalendar support one way sync working. It is command line only for the moment but supports multiple google accounts also.

Once I get some kind of basic UI on it, I will push to extras-devel. Anyone curious can look at the code at http://github.com/zaheerm/mgcalsync
Sounds good for the beginning. Do you also have "server timed out" problems or is your program better? Do you think you can make it a two-way-sync?

Originally Posted by neowolf View Post
The built in Exchange support works with google's mobile sync service as long as you DON'T check email. I have my contacts and calendar syncing no problem.

http://www.google.com/mobile/product...html#p=default

Just follow the active sync instructions and don't bother to try email just yet.
I'm wondering how many say that you must uncheck the email part. For me the email is checked and disabled, so I can't do anything to uncheck it! =(
I'd like to sync only the calendar without anything else, still the checkable option includes both like "sync tasks & calendar"

I'm surprised no one has mentioned NuevaSync as a tool to sync the N900 with Google calendar/contacts.
I have been using it to sync several devices with Google for quite some time now. And since last saturday I also use it on the N900. Works like a charm
Just thought I'd mention it.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
Sounds good for the beginning. Do you also have "server timed out" problems or is your program better? Do you think you can make it a two-way-sync?
No server time-out issues and yes I will make it two way in due course. First step is to get a package with UI out for people to test.