Active Topics

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
no it isn't as much a phone. Symbian is purely a smartphone os, Maemo isn't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Regardless of whether it is, or is not, a phone, the net has been awash with previews, reviews, blog posts, videos, iPhone comparisons and the complete user manual for weeks now. It's not difficult to get a very firm idea of what the N900 can do, and anyone spending this sort of money on something owes it to themselves to do the research. There's no-one else to blame if they choose to just rely on blind assumptions instead.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by timomaemo View Post
I think that Nokia rushed and released N900 with software that miss many functions that anyone can find them in its previous mobile devices like:
so do u think that Nokia will add all these features to Maemo 5 soon or it will take months to add them ?
From the points you mentioned, we already have:
- Voice Recorder
- Ability to scroll rapidly (try two long swipes in quick sequence...)
- FM reciever program
- Equalizer support
- Filesend-Tool

Portrait mode sure is user specific - for me, phone portrait is enough.
MMS I'm missing, too.

For speed-dialing, ringtones and profiles, I hope for 3rd party software. Shouldn't be too hard given the opportunities Maemo as a framework offers.

Please be aware of two things:
  • The N900 has been out and SDK went final only two weeks ago.
  • It's step 4/5 for Nokia; if all the features you mention had been included, we would have been at Step 5/5 - which is probably something defined as "Feature equality to Symbian S60."

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Can somebody point explain to me what is really wrong with the phone application? I can call just fine. I can find contacts or use the calllist quickly to get the contact i want to call.
If i get a call then i get press a nice big button to take it. So what doesnt really work in the phone area?

The only thing i think that should be looked at in that specific area is that when i get a call or the phone app is the active app. It should downgrade the cpu for all other processes and give the phone app the highest prio. Because it does happen now and then that (mostly the browser) it taking to much cpu that the phone app cant really push itself passed it. So i cant accept the call at that time.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
what was wrong with that? one must understand that difference when making selection N900 vs N97 for example if he doesn't want to be disappointed.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
From the points you mentioned, we already have:

Please be aware of two things:
Alright, there we go - now THAT is how questions like this should be answered. Not by pointless bickering about definitions and useless non-helpful "you should have known better" type of comments.

Last edited by BatPenguin; 2009-12-08 at 10:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Yep. I have this problem too. Tomorrow to service.

I feel very disappointed with this phone!

On August / September when I first reed about N900 felt very excited. I love OpenSource, I support Nokia, so N900 sounded great (and with a lot of extra features). Signed on maemo site to be mailed when coming available and submitted my pre-sale buying at Amazon.
When knew (thanks to this forum) that NokiaUSA had it on site, I ran to buy it for $710!!!
Now, 10 days after I FEEL VERY DISAPPOINTED
My phone reboot itself about 10 times a day (before applying the firmware, were 20 times a day!). Avoiding me to do most elemental things as writing a 20 characters note. I can't sync my contacts from gmail, or even my calendar. It's not even supported by Ovi, (Nokia's Ovi! )
I wrote a mail to Nokia, letting now this and I'm waiting for an answer, but I think will claim my money back and go someother brand

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
You are not... see my posts:

Car kit can not access contact information...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...385#post416385

or my comment on MfE
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=221

Tags
lack of quality control