Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kurare View Post
Other than the touch implementation, assuming the hardware differences will be slight instead of the OOHH-so-satisfying-to-even-think-of ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore @ 1+ GHz dreams Maemo 6 should be quite easily made available on the N900 as well
It has been stated that it's OMAP3, so Cortex-A9 is not an option (A9's would be OMAP4). The 3440 is IMHO unlikely as the 3430 already is on the edge with regard to power consumption. IMO they either keep the 3430 (I hope not), or move on to 36xx that would mean a 720MHz with a comparable power envelope or (less likely) a 1GHz.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
This is from NOkia.
http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1358666

Nokia Devices & Services operational priorities
In addition to providing its key financial targets, Nokia also outlined key Devices & Services operational priorities for 2010. These are:
- Improve our user experience;
- Re-engineer our Symbian user interface; deliver a major product milestone before mid-year 2010, and another major product milestone before the end of 2010;
- Deliver our first Maemo 6-powered mobile computer, with an iconic user experience, in the second half of 2010;
- Significantly increase the proportion of touch and/or QWERTY devices in our smartphone portfolio;
- Scale up our Services business by expanding geographically and in partnership with more operators;
- Provide third party developers with better tools to create applications and content for our Ovi ecosystem;
- Further optimize the industry's lowest cost end-to-end business model in Mobile Phones; and
- Continue to build on our affordable and localized services offerings for emerging market consumers.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I think that the main concern is not only if N900 will be upgraded to Maemo 6 or not, but if the official Nokia software provided with Maemo 5 will be improved with new features and enhancements.

If you take a look at Bugzilla, most of the enhancements (spetially related to GUI non conformant with Hildon style) or improvements are "won't fix" until Harmattan.

So, does it mean that we won't see any enhancement to the N900 software stack? If there is no such upgrade to Maemo 6, it is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
So, does it mean that we won't see any enhancement to the N900 software stack? If there is no such upgrade to Maemo 6, it is.
Doubtful. Save for a minor update or two, Nokia will forget about the N900 users and focus only on Maemo 6, which most likely won't work on the N900. Its the same stupid story with the prior tablets. Make, ship, then forget & move on.

Its like buying a Dell that will only run XP, nothing else, and if you want Windows Vista you have to buy a new Dell, and if you want Windows 7 you have to get yet another Dell. Its a crappy model.

Maemo 3 -> N800
Maemo 4 -> N810
Maemo 5 -> N900
Maemo 6 -> N920
Maemo 7 -> N950 (or whatever, N1000 just looks silly)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
That is so wrong on many levels than I won't even reply but just unsubscribe from the thread. D'oh!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
...most of the enhancements or improvements are "won't fix" until Harmattan.

Makes me worry as well, especially since the just posted aims for 2010 quite clearly make Maemo 6 and a device it runs on a main target. Should I or shouldn't I buy a N900 now or wait another 18 months (hey, it said second half 2010 which means summer 2011 )... Damn, it always hurts so much to shell out another 500 bucks every half a year...

The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I think that the main concern is not only if N900 will be upgraded to Maemo 6 or not, but if the official Nokia software provided with Maemo 5 will be improved with new features and enhancements.
Without knowinhg the bugs you're referring to it's impossible for me to give any answer beyond "Maemo 5 will have updates". Please ask in those bugs adding me to the CC or link them here. Thanks!

To rjzak, this has been discussed and all goes down to the mistake of comparing a stable x86 architecture for the more stable category of laptop/PC with the fast evolving OMAP architecture and mobile devices. This time the hurdle is the jump from resistive to capacitive sceen, from single touch to multitouch. In principle this is technically easier to bridge than an OMAP incompatible jump.

As said before several time, this debate is too especulative for my taste before a first Harmattan release showing what are the UI changes. In principle most middleware don't have big issues jumping to/from Maemo 5/6.

At the end the equation today is simple: if you like the N900 and you have the money, buy it. If not, look for something else, now or in the future, from Maemo or from someone else. I'm confident that if you are reading these lines now you are going to be happy with Maemo.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
Doubtful. Save for a minor update or two, Nokia will forget about the N900 users and focus only on Maemo 6, which most likely won't work on the N900. Its the same stupid story with the prior tablets. Make, ship, then forget & move on.

Its like buying a Dell that will only run XP, nothing else, and if you want Windows Vista you have to buy a new Dell, and if you want Windows 7 you have to get yet another Dell. Its a crappy model.

Maemo 3 -> N800
Maemo 4 -> N810
Maemo 5 -> N900
Maemo 6 -> N920
Maemo 7 -> N950 (or whatever, N1000 just looks silly)
Wrong.

(You would have a point if you were talking about Symbian devices, though.)

The first tablet, the N770 shipped with OS2005 ("Maemo 1"), which was later upgraded to next version, OS2006. Afterwards, Nokia launched the second tablet, the N800, with OS2007; and due to feedback from users, incorporated elements from 2007 with the 2006 edition, thus creating the OS2007 Hacker Edition for the N770.

Eventually, the N810 was launched, with OS2008 ("Maemo 4" AKA Chinook), and the N800 was also upgraded to this OS. Another Hacker Edition was made for the N770, with parts of the new OS. Time passed and an updated version of OS2008 (Maemo 4.1? AKA Diablo) was launched for the N8x0 devices.

It was decided to skip the next release, Elefantia, and integrate its features on its sucessor, Fremantle (this caused a somewhat long period where nothing new was seen on the NIT horizon after Diablo). Which brings us to today, with Fremantle running on N900 hardware.

So there.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
At the end the equation today is simple: if you like the N900 and you have the money, buy it. If not, look for something else, now or in the future, from Maemo or from someone else. I'm confident that if you are reading these lines now you are going to be happy with Maemo.
n900 is fresh and ultra cool. M6 device will be announced somewhere in the mid of next year and will ship God knows how many months afterwards .. n900 makes sense from all aspects.

The Following User Says Thank You to abubakar For This Useful Post:

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade