Yeah, I like to read them because they generally have actual *news* reports, not the sensationalist crap that I usually get (in the US anyway). Wish I had the money to subscribe fer rill. Whenever I'm back, I like to grab a copy.

Wish I had empirical observations of the n900. Can't get it until t-mobile starts carrying it.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Ich dachte immer die faz ist eine gute zeitung die auch gut recherchiert aber n900 testen sollten die besser anderen überlassen. Aber nicht den chip leuten.
Der test auf chip.de ist mind. genauso schlecht.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
The author of this review is http://www.dr-spehr.de .

This quality of this review matches that of his dissertation and past writing for the FAZ.

He studied History and Sociology at the University of Bielefeld, and chose as his dissertation an apology for the activities of 19th century industrial terrorists.

Those who speak german may wish to contact the Frankfurter Allgemeine and let them know a thing or two about the N900.

http://www.faz.net/s/Rub7A8E4CB0AD8D...mon~Sform.html
And I just graduated having studied History and History of Art with a master's degree in Humanities, and for my thesis I wrote on the medieval and Renaissance interpretation of an ancient Greek climatic idea called the "torrid zone"--yet I'm also maintaining AbiWord for Maemo and backporting Gtk+ from Fremantle to Diablo and Mer!

The true failure, not with him as a reviewer of course but in general, is that more people don't get involved with open source. I started as a user who simply wanted to get more stuff done with his computer.

I should add, too, that my love of the internet tablets and my desire to improve them stems directly from my graduate research, which made me think very carefully about the connection between the physical way we create and communicate our ideas and their quality. Perhaps if he had composed his dissertation on an N800 as I intend to he would have been a better writer (I'm serious).

BTW, I was working on my own translation, I hope no one minds if I post it this afternoon once I'm done. Ich will zu immer ein Schritt voraus stellen anmuten nicht, aber das ist fur mich eine rare Gelegenheit zu ubersetzen mit Deutschen Mutterspracheleren =).

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
@raubtier:

first of all, there's no list of missed calls. there's mixed list of in- and outgoing plus missed calls. not very nice.

then there's what FAZ writes: i can see that mr. smith called me. fine. i tap on mr. smith, and all i get is a list of numbers i have in my address book for mr. smith. now which should i dial?
Lol had this problem today. Someone called me but no way to check which number the person called me from so I could call the person back on that number. The single list for all calls is also quite quite annoying. Also annoying that no way to tag a number as default or at least move it up the list. When I want to call my wife I need to look at the actual numbers to determine which is her mobile so I can dial that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
artikelanreisser isn't really headline - it's the little block of text you find on the front page that is meant to catch your attention for the article itself. i don't know the proper english word.
What about "abstract" ?

At etuoyo:
Thanks. Please report here: Improving the Maemo 5 phone experience

Last edited by Helmuth; 2009-12-10 at 17:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Well - I think the FAZ isn't that far off. Granted, in the 5 days I have had the N900 now, I've mainly tried to get the GPS to work - what a joke.

Still - looking for PIM synchronisation, one finds an entry "Mail for Exchange". Hey, isn't that this Microsoft product? On my Maemo?
Around here, many people seem to need synchronisation with Google. And there seems to be none?
How do I get my KDE kontacts onto the N900?

Why on earth do directories like the default places for music, sounds, videos, documents ... have to be hidden folders? Well, they aren't hidden from that file manager which shows some weird selection of your disk content - what is shown as "Nokia N900/Documents" is actually "/home/users/MyDocs/.documents" - is this device running Linux or rather Windows?

There is this Program Manager. It seems to take it's package lists from repository.maemo.org - but it doesn't show all the stuff there is. I checked this while searching for the pakcage "location-test-gui" to debug the GPS.
Of course, I should have apt-get - installed it in a shell, but that much typing is a bit of a hassle compared to a single click.

So, a number of issues that can also confuse a N900 beginner coming from the Linux side, not just the "dumbphone users"

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
What about "abstract" ?

At etuoyo:
Thanks. Please report here: Improving the Maemo 5 phone experience
"Abstract" is longer and more formal. There may not be a direct translation; "article teaser" may be a good parallel concept.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hove, UK
the only thing i take from the review is that the n900 is far from polished, largley because it's open source it would seem. isn't this also the same reason that such complaints can be fixed?

i don't consider my hope that the Maemo 5 experience will be improved to be naive, so i am excited to be getting a powerful, groundbreaking phone that will improve over time.

and anyway i'm a techie and a gadget freak - i like my devices to be a) a challenge to use b) do stuff they're not supposed to (e.g. snes emulation - the main reason i got it. really.) c) impress people who don't have one.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by solarion View Post
"Abstract" is longer and more formal. There may not be a direct translation; "article teaser" may be a good parallel concept.
i believe "outline" or maybe "digest" (from Abriss) would be appropriate. "stub" also works.

"Anreisser" is just a colloquial form of "Abriss".

Ah, "summary" might be the best option. Much to learn; perhaps I should postdoc in Germany/Austria next.