Active Topics

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
Sorry to break the in-ear headphone only rule but I figured since we use the same phone and amp I could help out. (I switch between cheap sony earbuds for portability and convenience and Sennheiser HD-555's for when I'm not going anywhere for a while)

Sound on the N900 is very average. Don't let that fool you though, there has to be a standard set somewhere. The N900 is very listenable, but no more listenable than say, an iPhone. I find my G1 to have pretty good sound and my Cowon S9 to have excellent sound. The N900 is perfectly fine if you're walking/chilling between classes but won't be replacing any reputable media players anytime soon.
I totally disagree. n900 soundquality beats both of my ipods and my girlfriends ipod touch. Stereo image is more accurate and the mids are just as crispy as I like them to be. Using Akg K 271 MKII and sennheiser cx550.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Kolkata, India
to add my two bits into the thread, if you are using a fiio amp with a 150$ headphone setup, you should stick with an mp3 player that supports line out via the dock, my setup for listening is a nuforce mobile amp and phillips noise cancellation headphones, driven by the iphone. The amplifier is useless if you simply connect it to a 3.5 mm slot, the real rich audio is the pre-amp audio coming from the line-out which gets amplified by the expensive amp not the cheap circuit inside, and then fed to the headphone, using an amp with the n900 will actually be useless, as its pre amplified and not pure sound..also i use the same setup to connect it to my harmon kardon amps and then to the 1977 Bose 321 setup, and everyone who has said that the ipod/iphone sounds bad should try this setup with Apple Lossless files to feel the warmth and purity of the sound, in comparison to any other mp3 player out there.

Last edited by lohiaprateek; 2009-12-10 at 22:10.

I'm going to test the N900 with my Westone UM1 ($150 in past times, now $109) [and my AKG K240S ($160 in past times, now discontinued)], when it finally arrives.... of course with FLAC or HQ Vorbis.
I will also test whether a dedicated volume control is necessary to kill noise.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego
without EQ i think its hard to say something. i have a Bang & Oulfsen heahphone to test. I think the sound is more clear than iphone(my previous phone). With EQ im sure will be better.

How is the headphone volume output compared to the N95 8GB? The N95's output is quite bad

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
N900 sounds very good and about 20% more volume than Droid or G1.

I am keeping the N900 due in part to the good sound of the device from 3.5mm jack.

Originally Posted by choubbi View Post
I'd rather have it as an option to choose. I prefer when the hardware keys can be locked together with the screen.

If I really want to be able to adjust the volume without unlocking the player, I use a volume control thingy (shure EA650, or headphones with volume control for example), but I don't want to have the volume adjust itself just because I like to have my phone loose in my pocket.

BTW, I don't think the N900 will replace my current DAP, because of battery life.
Well I wouldn't want to have to pay extra money to be able to control the volume without unlocking the phone. I don't think there is any way the volume buttons could accidently be pressed with the device in my pocket so I would prefer for the volume buttons to remain unlocked. This would mean I could easily change the volume with device in my pocket rather than having to bring it out of my pocket to do so.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Well I wouldn't want to have to pay extra money to be able to control the volume without unlocking the phone. I don't think there is any way the volume buttons could accidently be pressed with the device in my pocket so I would prefer for the volume buttons to remain unlocked. This would mean I could easily change the volume with device in my pocket rather than having to bring it out of my pocket to do so.
volume buttons work when the device is locked. You just have to press the power button once.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seoul, South Korea
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
People talking about MP3 sound quality is funny to me. MP3 is inherently lossy.

Speaking as an audiophile - if it aint Analog - it aint music
I think people use the the word, "mp3" as a general reference to music. I don't believe your average music person considers the quality when they hear, "mp3".

Just a thought.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrWh1t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by MrWh1t3 View Post
I think people use the the word, "mp3" as a general reference to music. I don't believe your average music person considers the quality when they hear, "mp3".

Just a thought.
Most people can not tell the difference between analog, high bit rate and 160kb in a car or on portable devices. I have been around long enough to own a collection of four hundred LP's. Sound is warmer and better stage with LP's on a good home sound system, but I can not pick up much difference in a car or portable device. Cymbal decay is my favorite sound to reference for how well playback is. Kind of covers all traits for parameters of audio definition and are "acute" points in a song that stand out.

Thinking about it more:

Perhaps firing weapons including LAW rockets killed my ears.... Those things do not go "woooosh" like in the movies- they go BOOOOM!

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-11 at 13:43.