Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post

The N900 is in PC Suite Mode.

any ideas? thanks.

The pc suite mode is not the usb networking one.

You have to install the pc-connectivty and the pc-connectivity-manager packages, then you have to enable the usb networking mode on the N900, then plug the usb cable and windows will ask for a driver.

The Following User Says Thank You to The_Solutor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by The_Solutor View Post
The pc suite mode is not the usb networking one.
Actually, the PC Suite Mode is required for USB Networking (wiki) at least on linux/Mac. Even when using the pc-connectivity-manager, plugging in the cable brings up the 'USB Mode' dialog on the N900

You have to install the pc-connectivty and the pc-connectivity-manager packages, then you have to enable the usb networking mode on the N900, then plug the usb cable and windows will ask for a driver.
After doing all this, I was able to get it working on my XP. However, there was one big issue. If the USB cable is disconnected and re-connected, the Local-Connection created during installation no longer appears under Network-Connection window. Rebooting doesn't help. The only way to get it working again is to re-install which creates yet another connection. Is there a solution to this?

Another drawback of this approach is that the device does not charge which enabling the USB-Networking mode on the N900 via the pc-connectivity-manager. Are there plans to address this?

USB Networking from a linux computer, on the other hand, allows the device to charge and is by far a simpler process. It would be nice to see something similar on Windows.

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
Actually, the PC Suite Mode is required for USB Networking (
The pcsuite is a Windows SW, what has to do with linux and mac ?

Everything you need is a kernel with the cdc_ehternet support, and it's the case of any recent linux distro and leopard, snow leopard, and and updated tiger.

After doing all this, I was able to get it working on my XP. However, there was one big issue. If the USB cable is disconnected and re-connected, the Local-Connection created during installation no longer appears under Network-Connection window. Rebooting doesn't help. The only way to get it working again is to re-install which creates yet another connection. Is there a solution to this?

Just set a profile called like USBNET on pc-connectivity manager choose usb networking and save it.

Then set the profile to none and back to USBNET.

This works often (but not always).

Another drawback of this approach is that the device does not charge which enabling the USB-Networking mode on the N900 via the pc-connectivity-manager. Are there plans to address this?
I'm not involved in the development, so I've not idea if this is a bug or a hw limit.

The Following User Says Thank You to The_Solutor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
The pcsuite is a Windows SW, what has to do with linux and mac ?
I meant the 'PC Suite Mode' on the N900. As you know, when the USB cable is connected to the N900, it immediately prompts for 'PC Suite Mode' or 'Mass Storage'. From my linux computer, I can USB network into the N900 just fine, only if the 'PC Suite Mode' is on. I want to get it working with XP too.

Everything you need is a kernel with the cdc_ehternet support, and it's the case of any recent linux distro and leopard, snow leopard, and and updated tiger.
I am aware of this. As I mentioned, I have no problems setting up USB Networking from my linux box. I am guessing my previous post may have caused some misunderstanding. Let me re-word it.

Using the driver package for Windows, I was able to get USB-Networking working on my XP. However, there was one big issue. If the USB cable is disconnected and re-connected, the Local-Connection created in XP network settings during installation no longer appears under the Network-Connection window in XP. Rebooting XP doesn't help. The only way to get it working again is to re-install the driver on XP which creates yet another connection in the XP network settings. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
Is there a way to tell N900 that I already have internet connection and it's not it's business to make things [s]better[/s] worse?
The suggestion already made in this thread affects the routing table. I hacked together an automatic workaround that removes the unwanted route and works no matter what order you bring up the interfaces in.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...081#post422081