Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Was on the metro, watching Hulu via the browser and this girl next to me ( you wouldn't think she was a nerd because of how gorgeous she was ) happened to look over and see it and ask 'What phone is that?' After I told her it was the N900, she started talking about how cool it was, how you could write Python, remote DNS, etc and was amazingly surprised that I had the phone because she thought it hadn't been released yet.

-Socrates 469 BC

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spinnukur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
A group of 5 people at work standing around me yesterday, the 1st full day I had the device, going "Wow! - among them iPhone users.

The IT guy at work, looking at the x terminal on my device with a root shell (me going "it's legal"), going "Wow!"

A designer telling me, "I can't use those screens, because of my nails" and then the look on her face as the desktops changed smoothly one to the other, and she just using the back of her fingernail.

For me, the screen - gorgeous clarity, the speed moving from application to application, the clean integration of communication mechanisms, the fact that Nokia Messaging (I'm on the US West Coast) hooked up the three email systems I use mostly without any drama.

Glad to be back on a Maemo device.

Driving home while downloading a few albums using Transmission while broadcasting music from the phone to my car stereo using the FM transmitter when I realized I hadn't paid my mortgage.

Jumped on to Bank of America and made the payment. Meanwhile I was getting text messages in the background and while I hit a send link for a password I would jump out and answer a text. I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing until I got home and thought holy cow I can't believe:

a. I could do all that at the same time without so much of a glitch from the phone the entire time it ran nice and smooth.

b. I can't believe I didn't getting into a 7 car pile up while doing all this.

You know that you have a great device on your hands when you are being productive without having to think about it. That's always how I have measured device greatness, by how effortlessly I can work on being productive and staying entertained.

My complete WOW...

PS - Emulating snes always seems to wow everyone. I love being able to break this bad boy out for a bit of Super Mario World action.

The Following User Says Thank You to lstrike21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denver, CO USA
Chatting with my cousin on skype and he pngd me a streaming site for the Barca Vs Real match...

Clicked on it and it played so smoothly... watched the entire match on the phone...

I have one question though... Hulu is pretty sketchy for me... Am I missing something?

Showing my family my new phone using the tv-out. Going through all of the fancy things it can do, and then looking up all the youtube videos they were shouting out and watching them stream perfectly on the TV.

media player scrolls through a movie like its nothing. instant showing of the picture at the moment youve scrolled to.

msn contacts popping up and being able to chat.

keyboard on a phone --> very cool. (though i now see why some people called it limited, 4 row keyboard with bigger buttons can be nice. but i am still glad its small since the phone its size is very good.)

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Wow, I have been waiting for my device since October and I still don't have it. WOW!!!

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by lstrike21 View Post
Driving home while ...

b. I can't believe I didn't getting into a 7 car pile up while doing all this.
You got lucky. Hate sounding like a preachy ***** but it only takes a fraction of a second for something unexpected to happen while driving that can mean the difference between avoiding an incident and a wreck, injury, and maybe death .

Please pay attention to the road. For your sake, mine, and others.

Thanks.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snedley For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Ironically my "wow" moment was getting 3.5G reception outside my house.

Inside I get a weak 2G signal, but even outside no other device could ever get a 3G signal before on O2s crummy network. Either O2 upgraded something recently, or the N900 is REALLY sensitive.

I did notice I lost 3G if I held the N900 on the right though (where the antenna is) which can be tricky during extensive use, as my left hand gets tired.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
Was on the metro, watching Hulu via the browser and this girl next to me ( you wouldn't think she was a nerd because of how gorgeous she was ) happened to look over and see it and ask 'What phone is that?' After I told her it was the N900, she started talking about how cool it was, how you could write Python, remote DNS, etc and was amazingly surprised that I had the phone because she thought it hadn't been released yet.
I hope you had the foresight to "demonstrate" the ease of inputting contact information by getting hers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric G For This Useful Post: