Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I found it, have you got the emelfm2 file manager installed? If you dont, make sure you have it installed and are able to become root in xterm. Then:

1. Download the attacted zip file, unzip it and place the .xml file inside on your tablet, for convenience put it on the internal 2GB memory.

2. Open xterm , type in "sudo gaintroot" (without quotes)

3. Type in "emelfm2" (without quotes)

4. On both panes you will see a big green H tap each one once so that there is a red slash through them

5. On the left pane, navigate to /usr/share/gnumeric/1.8.4

6. On the right pane navigate to /media/mmc2 (this is your internal memory card)

7. Simple drag the xml file (HILDON_Gnumeric-gtk.xml) from the right pane over to the left, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the current file, click yes

8. Open gnumeric and if you have the standard toolbar enabled "Manage Sheets" should be the fourth item down. After you make sure everything looks fine, you can close out emelfm2 and xterm.

Also, to answer your other question the behavior of having to tap a cell then tap at the top to type is an unavoidable bug.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HILDON_Gnumeric-gtk.zip (2.4 KB, 148 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Simplify steps 3 to 7: Just type in xterm
cp /media/mmc2/HILDON_Gnumeric-gtk.xml /usr/share/gnumeric/1.8.4/

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Yeah, you could do that, I myself just find it easier when I can actually see what I'm doing, if that makes any sense.

Works like a charm. Thanks so much!

No problem!

is there a way to input text into a cell without having to click on the cell, then the text box above? I am used to inputing text into a cell, then pressing the right arrow to go to the next cell.

how about keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste?

Last edited by eastbayarb; 2009-12-13 at 00:32.

Im afraid thats the only way to do it....I wish it were different. I'm not sure if gnumeric is actively being developed anymore...I would call this a big bug myself.

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Im afraid thats the only way to do it....I wish it were different. I'm not sure if gnumeric is actively being developed anymore...I would call this a big bug myself.
gnumeric is a major cross-platform application that is almost certainly being actively developed. Anyone that uses spreadsheets on any platform that it is available should at least consider it. Especially anyone that actually cares about correct calculations.

The maemo port of gnumeric might well not being maintained. Another shortcoming of the maemo port is that the hardware full screen button is ignored. I guess that won't be a problem for the n900.

Last edited by j.s; 2009-12-13 at 02:34. Reason: fix typo

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
gnumeric is a major cross-platform application that is almost certainly being actively developed. Anyone that uses spreadsheets on any platform that it is available should at least consider it. Especially anyone that actually cares about correct calculations.

The maemo port of gnumeric might well not being maintained. Another shortcoming of the maemo port is that the hardware full screen button is ignored. I guess that won't be a problem for the n900.

Nice to know I am not the only one that is sort of dissatisfied with the features of gnumeric out of the box. I can't complain, as it is free and works really well.