Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Originally Posted by Soheil View Post
Try this:
Test scenario #1
- Charge the battery fully
- Start playing your music and let it play all night
- Notice how less the battery depletes by morning.

Test scenario #2:
- Switch on GPRS/WiFi and keep it on all night
- Battery will be fully drained by morning and phone will be switched off.

From the above test scenarios, I'm surprised to see that playing music all night has not much affect on the battery life, rather GPRS/WiFi has a more adverse affect. I guess this should be the other way round.
I kept my N900 on 3G and WLAN yesterday night. I have very good 3G coverage, so the phone stays all the time in the 3.5 mode.

N900 was in charger during the evening, so it was charged.
In the morning I had still 7 bars out of 8 left, so it did not behave like yours.

I had email checking on (every 30 min).

hi, is there a way to see figures for the battery percentage or are you just working it out from the battery displayed on the corner of the screen?

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Open up the X-terminal and type:

lshal | grep percen

you should get:
battery.charge _level_percentage = xx

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
I typically get two days usage with mine; I'm charging every other evening. I have wifi at home and work so it's almost always connected to that. I haven't installed much from extras and I use it much more for email than anything else.

Originally Posted by chowdahhead View Post
I typically get two days usage with mine; I'm charging every other evening. I have wifi at home and work so it's almost always connected to that. I haven't installed much from extras and I use it much more for email than anything else.
When and where did you get it?
Same question to the owner of the thread.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by schnebeck View Post
show me your
~# lshal | grep battery.reporting
(in xterm or via ssh)

What I notice is that my battery.reporting.design is increasing after using the device now for 8 days (1260 -> 1275mAh). I also notice that I never reach the design capacity after overnight charging. I reach a quite constant level of 1220mAh.
Meanwhile my device last longer than a workday, longest running session was 18h and then I still had 10% remainig capacity.

Bye

Thorsten
~ $ lshal | grep percen
battery.charge_level.percentage = 23 (0x17) (int)
~ $ lshal | grep battery.reporting
battery.reporting.current = 308 (0x134) (int)
battery.reporting.design = 1296 (0x510) (int)
battery.reporting.last_full = 0 (0x0) (int)
battery.reporting.unit = 'mAh' (string)

Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
-accounts costantly connected: msn, aim, skype, gtalk.
how were you able to connect to MSN?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
Well, I can't believe how good the battery is for some of you. This is my 3rd or 4th full recharge. this is what today looked like for me, after a full charge.
Connected whole time to wifi and a couple of hours of it to the 3g internet connection. the whole time the gsm network I was on said 3g.
-brightness setting to the first two bars.
-vibrate off.
-facebook widget on one of the desktops.
-about 30 minutes of talk.
-approximately 2 hours of internet and im chatting.
-accounts costantly connected: msn, aim, skype, gtalk.
-xchat connected for about 6 hours in 3 channels, 2 separate servers.
-gmail set up on modest to update every 5 mins.
-gps map routing for about 30 minutes. took about 5 pics with geotagging, and sent one to flicker, e-mailed all 5 to a couple of people.
**EDIT** omweather also on the whole time set to update hourly.
it is now 11 hours later and I'm at about 10% left.haven't gotten low battery warning yet but I will soon.

I don't know if this is normal, but I would have liked a bit better battery. for the device to last me the whole day I feel like I have to limit my usage.
**edit** OK going onto 12 hours now, and this past hour mostly browsimg and typing this message. I also updated the omweather app.
I must add that when I Go to bed and set the device to offline mode, it seems to drain almost nothing. the battery the next morning is exactly or just about where I left it.
take a better look at lines i've bolded. If you would get your device to stay alive without recharging for 30h with your usage, I'd go to local universitys physics department and tell to headmaster that laws of physics are all wrong....

and just a reminder: http://wiki.maemo.org/How_To_Make_Yo...ry_Last_Longer
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by Soheil View Post
Test scenario #2:
- Switch on GPRS/WiFi and keep it on all night
- Battery will be fully drained by morning and phone will be switched off.

From the above test scenarios, I'm surprised to see that playing music all night has not much affect on the battery life, rather GPRS/WiFi has a more adverse affect. I guess this should be the other way round.
I've done #2. One night I left it on GPRS (EDGE) after a full charge and it had about 1/2th left in the morning. Maybe a little under 1/2 since it's hard to tell with that icon. It was checking several email accounts every hour, along with updating omweather every hour. With Skype, Google Talk, and SIPP accounts online. GPS is on (but not activated by anything).

The next time I left it on WiFi (same conditions) and same result, about 1/2 charge left.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
flyweights! sounds like you 3-day battery people are hardly using the device. I regularly run the battery dry in under 3 hours. But I'm actually USING it for those 3 hrs. Browsing, watching video podcasts, gaming, downloading files over wifi, listening to music. The N900 is a computer to me, not some device to just glance at instant messages or call my mom on every now and then with. Hardcore baby, burn that battery up!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pagesix1536 For This Useful Post: