Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by dreixel View Post
2) I use rdesktop-cli in fullscreen mode, because else I can't see the taskbar. However, I don't know how to terminate the program without killing it (using the power button), since I can't get away from the remote desktop. How should I do this?
3) Any tips on how to (safely) store passwords? I use keyboard (username/password) and public key authentication for ssh. After this I have again to input username/password for rdesktop. I'd like to know how to bypass typing these passwords, if at all possible.
2: Go to the start menu (on your windows box) and select "Disconnect"

3: Enter this as the command to start rdesktop, substituting your own information where applicable:
Code:
rdesktop-cli -f -u *your Username* -p *your Password* *your Computers URL or IP address*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renesis For This Useful Post:
Is it just me or is it even harder to tap things on the top and bottom edge of the screen now (ie windows taskbar or the window controls on top right)

On the N810 the only issue i had was with the right scrollbars, and i assumed that with the N900's screen being flush it would be able to detect everything just fine, but it seems like in practice the bottom and top are much less accurate than before (left and right edges seems perfect now, though, for what its worth). I wonder if making the resistive contact surface larger than theviewable area would make touches to the edge of the screen reasonably accurate.

Yeah, so are you guys having issues hitting the taskbar? I've tried calibrating the screen multiple times, but it seems like its once again a hardware limitation

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
rdesktop-cli -f -u username -p password 123.123.123.123:1234 works perfect for me. But the rdesktop app not - and it would have been so nice to have some UI...

Any hints?

Don't forget you can use the accessability on screen keyboard if you need specific keys that the N900 can't handle.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
rdesktop-cli -f -u username -p password 123.123.123.123:1234 works perfect for me. But the rdesktop app not - and it would have been so nice to have some UI...

Any hints?
I am having the exact same problem but at least rdesktop-cl is working.

Originally Posted by askarir View Post
I am having the exact same problem but at least rdesktop-cl is working.
...and fast. Just great - any ideas how to make a batch/script and a shortcut on the desktop. That would help so much already... tired of typing into the terminal prompt each time.

Last edited by HugoSon; 2009-12-14 at 18:11.

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Download the Rdesktop-cl it already comes with a GUI that saves most of the setting for you.

rdesktop-cli you mean? No UI at all - rdesktop (1.7 something) has a UI yes - but does not work for me (and a couple of others as you can read here...)

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Very strange I have no probs at all with 1.7. Using it through ssh on Lan and over internet gateway. All I can suggest are the problems I faced when setting up initially.
1)Make sure you have a server running on the windows machine. I use Cygwin which is free and easy to set up.
2) If you are running Vista home or Xp home it will need to be patched to get the term server running.
3)Make sure to open port 22 on your router and forward to appropriate ip.
4)Make sure to allow remote access to computer and open port 22 on firewall if needed.
5)Try sending it through ssh tunnel specific to local host
ssh -L3389:localhost:3389 user@remotemachine
Then when connection is established log into rdesktop and instead of putting ip address type
localhost:3389
6)Make sure your workgroup matches that of the workgroup computer you are logging into.
7)Double check that you are using the correct ip address if you are trying to connect outside of your LAN you will need your public ip address.
8) Finally make sure that port 3389 or whatever port you choose to use is listening on remote computer. For windows type:-
Netstat -a -n
into cmd prompt.

Sorry if these are basics to alot of you these are just issues that I have come accross and overcome to make it work. Hope it comes together.

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post

Any hints?
Judging by this post earlier in the thread it appears that the new rdesktop doesn't understand the syntax for non-standard ports and tries to resolve the whole thing as a hostname. With a server on the usual port 3389 it works very nicely though.