Active Topics

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Hi guys,

Hopefully this isn't already answered somewhere. In any case, I have consulted the Wiki page on the subject, and even discovered a bug which seems to somehow apply.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had any joy setting up an IMAP4s (or really any sort of secure IMAP, SSL or TLS) mailbox with the N900's default email client ("modest" as it appears to be called).

Mine just seem to hang, no matter what I try (sometimes I also found that it's impossible to alter the settings once the mailbox is setup - grrr).

This morning, when I turned on my N900, it suddenly seemed to work, ie: gave me a popup saying it had received an email - I thought hurray and then when I tried to open it, the phone took forever before claiming that the mail couldn't be found on the server.

My mailboxes (I have tried several) are all empty - I have even gone as far as removing all manner of stray folders that various email clients had created in there.

These same settings work flawlessly on Outlook 2007 and - dare I say - my iPod touch. I have tried to delete/recreate the accounts, reboot the phone etc etc numerous times but still no joy!

Please can someone help me? Are there at least some logfiles I can check somewhere as the phone doesn't give much in way of feedback?? (I am UNIX litterate).

Otherwise, I don't think there's going to be much of an option but returning this expensive but not very useful toy - email is definitely one of my #1 use cases (and I'm not even asking for fancy stuff like push email and whatnot)

Any help is much appreciated

Last edited by sxc; 2009-12-15 at 07:31.

Did you install any digital certificates using the certificate manager. I would assume for a secure IMAP link you would need a certifcate. Modest does not handle certs, it relies on the system cert manager to do this. You can find it in settings-> certificate manager.

You will need to get a cert from your system admins

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Thanks mikec, this sounds like a good suggestion - and probably something that should be posted to a FAQ somewhere ;-)

FWIW, I also checked out the instructions Bugs:Stock_answers#Mail but when I try:

Code:
/usr/bin/maemo-summoner /usr/bin/modest.launch showui
(from a remote SSH session)

I get:
Code:
modest: use 'modest -s' to start from cmdline  with UI
process 1682: arguments to dbus_bus_request_name() were incorrect, assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_bus_name (name)" failed in file dbus-bus.c line 1070.
and a notification that "permission is denied" on the phone's screen. Also tried after su-ing to 'user' with similar result.

Just to let you know that I followed the instructions given here to import my certificate and this has indeed solved all my secure IMAP issues!

i'm going to go back to the bug report and also the wiki page quoted above so the next poor soul doesn't have to struggle like I did...

Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to sxc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I've never had any problems with secure IMAP and self-signed server cert on the N900 so far. The client just asked omce whether to trust the cert.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I've never had any problems with secure IMAP and self-signed server cert on the N900 so far. The client just asked omce whether to trust the cert.
Same here, no problems what so ever.

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Just to let you know that I followed the instructions given here to import my certificate and this has indeed solved all my secure IMAP issues!

i'm going to go back to the bug report and also the wiki page quoted above so the next poor soul doesn't have to struggle like I did...

Cheers!
Hi sxc I;m glad you were able to solve the problem. Can you change your post title to SOLVED

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Delhi, India
Hi Can you tell me how can i get certificates for sites like gmail and yahoo mail??