Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
So here is my situation:

I have wifi at home and at work. Outside of these two there are only a handful of free hotspots. Also, living in Canada means being raped by the telcos left right and center when it comes to charges for data traffic.

This means that while not at home and not at work I can't get email, skype, web and all the other wonderful things without constantly being worried about overage charges.

On my "smart phone plan" with Rogers I currently have only 500MB. So my question is what is 500MB a month (or about 16MB per day) enough for? Can I be constantly on with the weather app, skype (for chat at least) and gps, auto checking my emails every 5 minutes and still remain within 500MB?

Thanks.

Last edited by OrangeBox; 2009-12-17 at 18:52.

There is some app in one of the repos that keeps track of how much data you are using on 3g. You could download that(not sure which repo it is in. If it is in Testing or Devel please use with care because thing there could cause alot of problems with phone.

Get the personal dataplan monitor widget and try it out for a few days to get a good idea of your usage.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
Can I be constantly on with the weather app, skype (for chat at least) and gps, auto checking my emails every 5 minutes and still remain within 500MB?
Unless you listen to streaming radios or constantly upload highres pictures to Flickr, I'd say you can: my usage pattern looks very much like yours and I have used 160MB out of 3GB/month on my "3" dataplan.

500MB should be enough to get mail/Skype. It'll only be a problem if you start streaming audio/video

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
lol had the N900 for just under 3 weeks, i should, but haven't used wifi yet, and so far have got 484mb downloads and 80mb uploads - wooops, my limit is 500mb! to be fair, i'm using it pretty heavily

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
E-mails doesn't use much traffic without pictures.. Skype I don't know about, but I'd say 500 MB a month should do plenty fine.

I just hit 3 GB downloaded the other day, but I've been doing everything over my 3.5G connection. But now the Data Monitor Widget doesn't work anymore

It just shows -87172838.000 B downloaded.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I transferred around 500 mb in 2 weeks but listen to internet radio regularly. I don't have a data limit though.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
@real_per hmm interesting

I've transfered ~1GB in 14 days but that was due to doing like a dozen reflashes in between

Not sure how much I'll need after that. But I doubt I'll go to any lesser data plan simply because some things are rather big to install.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I've used mine excessively for me for three weeks... and managed a total of under 75mb. That's collecting email, reading webpages and mauku .

I don't d/l software unless I'm at home (wifi) and I'm not a huge youtube fan. I'm also naturally cautious, so have been monitoring it. Might use a bit more next month now I feel a bit less scared about it.