Posts: 65 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seoul, South Korea
If you want an "Iphone experience" move on and wait for the next model.

I should add. I have owned an iphone (sold it), and currently own the N900. I love it and haven't had any of the issues a lot of people on here have. The unhappy are always the most vocal, and the N900 has fan boys too whether they admit it or not. I don't take any sides and try to have a non-bias opinion.

It's not as "fluid" as the iphone. It doesn't have the apps and developer following either. There are still kinks to iron out and the apps that have been created aren't as "pretty" as the Iphone apps.

You have to ask yourself, "what do I want to use this for?" If you want a simple device to listen to music, surf the net, etc. maybe the Iphone/Palm Pre/Droid is the right way for you. If you want a device that is totally open, well, get the n900.

If you want a lighter phone, don't get the n900. If you want a better camera, get the Sony Satio, etc... There is NO phone that is 100% the answer for everyone. Some people like SUVs, that doesn't mean cars are bad.

Take the top 2 - 3 things you want to do and get the phone that best fits those 2 - 3 things. Music, Camera, Browser = Satio...Only music, 5800...open platform, etc. N900. "Apps" = Iphone... Like google? Buy a droid.

Last edited by MrWh1t3; 2009-12-22 at 04:19.

What everyone is trying to say is that every phone or device has problems when it is first out. The iPhone did not start it's move to cell phone dominancy with a clean slate. There were plenty of bumps along the road.

The reason the N900 has lacking cell phone features is that nokia is not advertising it as a phone.. it's a "mobile computer" or "internet tablet" that happens to work on cell phone networks.

Although, I suspect the Cell Phone features will mature over time with firmware updates.

true. So the next thing to ask is whether it is worth the price for what it does. I don't know what the exact price is, but i know that it is a lot of money.

It entirely depends on what you are after. It can do a great number of things thanks to it's Linux heritage (a non-bastardized linux like android) - and is very highly customizable thanks to that. So if you're looking for something with full Flash support, has a growing number of apps, and works more like a computer than a phone.. then it's excellent.

If you want an iPhone that's not an iPhone - you probably need to looking at androids.

It is alot of money, depending on how you look at it...if you buy into a 2 year contract, you probably end up paying more, just because you are tied down, and they make you pay for data and things like that....considering you pay like 560-600 for the phone you are free to use it any which way you like. Buy a sim card and use the phone capabilities or just use wifi and use it as an internet tablet...its like a mini laptop in your hands...

Originally Posted by 2733T View Post
oh, i see. I still think based on what everyone has said, that it wasn't ready to go out when it did. I have also read about a lot of problems that people are having with it.
Maybe it should not have gone out with such a high profile, but I would really like to have been able to buy it direct from Nokia two months earlier, with only a no DOA warrany, when it was sitting around waiting for whatever Nokia was fixing in software, and I would have been willing to get all my support from this forum.

Originally Posted by 2733T View Post
true. So the next thing to ask is whether it is worth the price for what it does. I don't know what the exact price is, but i know that it is a lot of money.
Everyone has to decide that for themselves for everything. If the n900 is so lacking for you, why are you still here bothering people trying to get the best from their device?

now i'm wondering, besides the phone part, is there anything hardware or software related that makes it better than the N810?

The N900's hardware is significantly better from what I've read. And the software is supposedly better as well. I'm not exactly sure what the major differences in Maemo 5 and Maemo 4 are tho.

considering that i got the my N810 for about a third the price, and that I already have a phone, what would make me want to buy it.

Tags
buy an iphone, epicpwnsauce, forum noobs are, it's awesome, just buggy, n900 is shitty, next to an i7, not shitty, not the failphone