Posts: 24 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
_All_ video (and audio) codecs in a turn would be nice (w32codecsall or similar) to get at once.

Once this is done, a small package for Spotify, and then for Slingbox...

A note about point one.... hold the "app switcher" button and you jump back to the desktop when you have app(s) open

i completely agree with ur whole article... gj

the one the i want the most if portrait mode texting!

Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
20. Ability to make playlist

1. At the moment, the N900 has playlists but only ones you’ve imported
2. Please can we have the ability to make playlists on the N900 itself like S60 music players?

I am creating playlists on a daily basis. At first I did not get the logic but once I grasped everything it is very simple and easy.
Hmm creating playlist is easy and i find it very logical how to do that.
Just add albums songs to the current play list and save that list under a name..

The only thing is there is now way to remove stuff from a playlist you can only add.

When in “call mode” I’d still like the option of being able to send a text message and not just a call
the weird thing is, if the phone number is not a know number of a contact, there is an sms option!

But as soon as it is mapped to a contact you cant directly say sms

But there is a work around, in the phone app. tab and hold the contact , open contact card, then you have all the options like sms.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Nice review; tap-and-hold on a song in the library to add it to playlist (yea, bad feature implementation there). Nice stuff though, and I agree with much of what you've said, its a fat phone (if perceived as a phone), but an nicely sized mobile computer.
Oh and while they are at it would be cool that when you tap and hold a song you could "id3-tag" them like you do with photos for artist, album, genre etc. heck do it all through the device... a very eazy way to sort your files

and ofc ability to seleckt multiple files and tag alot at one time.

P.S I dont think the Phone/tablet (The Device) is too fat it has a very handy size and feels very sturdy

Thanks for the responses guys and also thanks for having gone through it as it's one awfully long post.

I tried to balance it between having a user experience that's versatile and one that's simple enough for average Joe (AJ) so was extra picky.

Inevitably and sadly, it's him we have to cater for if Nokia's gonna make a success of the Maemo Platform. I.E. not necessarily function over form.

It's the bunch of "We want intuitive UI" crew of writers/reviewers that Nokia must also please because - and they'll also be influencing AJ.

Word of mouth excitement aside, Nokia will also need some seriously aggressive marketing to build up the hype and desirability to get people to realise it's not all about iPhone. Maybe not for the N900 [it's their interim/early adapter solution] but for whatever successor they plan on bringing.

Originally Posted by Ovek View Post
A note about point one.... hold the "app switcher" button and you jump back to the desktop when you have app(s) open
Oh hey, I did not know that. That. It takes a touch bit too long though. But still nice.

Overall, agree with pretty much all the points you made. I am surprised though that making it easy to copy stuff from microB was not included in your list. I think that stupid cursor mode is an abomination and totally unintuitive.

Definitely agree on the scroll bar... to scroll any big page/music list without that.

Another nice to have is when you share a photo with a networking site such as facebook, if you take the photo in portrait mode, it should be automatically straightened before uploading. To be fair, I can go on and on about the photo viewer itself. It just lacks too many standard features.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
#2 Fine, makes sense.

#5 Agreed.

#8 Not Shift and Alt, but Shift, then Alt. Big difference there.

#10 Agreed.

#11 Photos and videos are not ordered by their creation date, but by the order they were indexed in. You'll notice that pictures on the N900 memory appear first followed by pictures on your memory card. Newer images happen to USUALLY show up at the bottom because they were more recently indexed.

#12 goes against how every OS out there orders their files by default. Making it an option, but not the default is the right choice here.

#14 One of the first parts of the Getting Started tutorial shows you that there's a menu there. That little triangle is quite well known as a hint that there is a dropdown menu there. Prerelease firmwares had nothing but the window title there, so there wasn't even a hint that there was a menu.

#19 Okay, makes sense.

#20 Wrong. You can indeed make playlists on the N900. Holding down your finger on any song pops up a menu allowing you to add any song to the playlist. You can also add all currently showing songs to the playlist by choosing Add current to playlist from the application menu.

No, you cannot remove individual songs from the playlist.

#29 Just plain creepy.