Hi

I finally got my N900 yesterday, and it has lived up to my expectations after readin reviews/previews for months I knew pretty much what to expect.

The one thing that I am trying to get accustomed to is the touch screen. I am used to the iphone's capacitive screen, this screen seems to need some pressure to be used effectively. I always am a bit worried pressing down on a screen. Anyway I've been trying to scroll through pages etc. and many times I end up clicking things by accident, any tricks you guys use to be more accurate/scroll faster?

I have found the stylus to be extremely effective however. Also does sms support the use of the virtual keyboard? I tried to respond to my first sms today but could not get the virtual keyboard to appear

Once portrait mode is supported in more applications in the future, this is a sure hit for me

Yes, you can use the virtual keyboard to reply to sms. Just click in the text area, and it should pop up on your screen, allowing you to type...

It may take you some time, to figure out the whole screen, as per how and where to click, so you dont accidentally close down the wrong tab...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
virtual keyboard must be enabled from settings. (don't see any reason why that should be done, you have hw keyboard if you haven't noticed..)

and try using your fingernail instead fingertips. the touchscreen functions with the fact that a layer is pushed downwards until contact to another...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Hey!!
Well, for the virtual keyboard, go to parameters and text input (or something like that, mine is in french) and check ''use the virtual keyboard''. There you go!
I was also used to the iphone's screen but I'm getting used to this one pretty fast! The idea with it is that you MUST press a little bit in order to selection something. Just test how much pressure is needed to be able to scroll, and don't worry too much about it, you will be able to scroll WAY BEFORE breaking the screen because of too much pressure.
I had mine yesterday too... Great device, isn't it?

Wow thanks for the quick reply, I also love how this community just keeps on growing and everyone helps out each other. Yeah I think I figured out the sms virtual keyboard. i know this sounds stupid but I am trying to use the virtual keyboard more so that I don't wear out the hardware slider yeah I know I am a lil paranoid. I was horrified at that post with the usb connectors coming out, being very gentle with this one hehe.

I am happy that I had no issues with the device so far and microphone works well

What I am really looking forward to is a program like joikuspot for sharing internet via wifi with others when needed.

Will keep practicing with the screen, I put on an invisible shield so at least I won't be too worried using my nails....

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I just got mine yesterday. Never used an iphone or capacitive phone before so i can only say if when you tap it and it does not respond wait and try a slightly different location on the icon you tap. Most of the time the best place to tap is the most right upper part of the icon.

Lol i also thought of using the virtual keyboard, so i dont wear out the slider. But after using the Virtual i got annoyed it took up the whole screen and i like to feel what im pressing. So ended up turning it off.

Well I'm a bit paranoid too, but we must remember that within one month we'll be tirer of using the virtual keyboard and we will start using the keyboard. It's not nice having a device like that and can't even slide out the keyboard! Anyway, Nokia has the reputation to build nice and tough devices. I trust my N900 and I use the physical keyboard.

Nokia devices are pretty durable. So I dont think using the physical keyboard should be a problem...I am paranoid as well, and find myself leaving the keyboard open when chatting, so I dont have to keep opening and closing it. LoL...But I believe we all have nothing to worry about.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
NOT using the HW keyboard is like leaving the plastic on your couch
Not only is it waaay less comfortable and you're really missing out... you also look a bit silly