Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@shaun132:
afaik there's no ROM on the 3GS.
256MB RAM and 32GB or 16GB storage, depending on model..
I think both screens can reproduce 16m colors.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Honestly, the only advantage I can find on the Iphone is the superior GPU, everything else is inferior, really. Even the Maemo apps are more appealing than Iphone's counterpart (at least for me).

However, one thing should be mentioned, and that's the lack of the GPU detail discussions overall in this forum, which is probably due the pride to not be inferior to the Iphone.

Just for future reference, here are the GPU specs.

N900: PowerVR SGX 530 (14 MPolys/s)
Iphone 3GS: PowerVR SGX 535 (28 MPolys/s)

For reference, the Iphone 3G had about "only" 1 MPolys/s, while the PSP still is the portable king, with about 30 MPolys/s. (Keep in mind that the GPU isn't everything that matters, even for games.)

Things that need to be considered here are mainly Iphone's lack of high resolution and virtual memory, which obviously limit the performance of the games and the UI, perhaps even more than the GPU advantage.

And the most important thing is maybe that the GPU advantage might never be used, becuase nearly all Iphone games are made to work on the first Iphones as well. This can't be said about the development of games for the N900.

Just for clarification, my conclusion was obviously that the N900 is a superior gaming platform, despite of the fact that is has an inferior GPU.

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2009-10-17 at 09:58.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
For it to be superior, it would need more than speculation imho.

Stating one is superior by just sheer numbers is honestly tiresome and usually inaccurate. For instance, the PS3 has much more power than the Wii. Yet the Wii has sold more games and systems in Japan. Until very recently, the PSP was second fiddle to the Nintendo DS/DSi in Sony and Nintendo's home country of Japan.

But ultimately, the Nintendo handheld platform still has more sales than the PSP - which has a greater GPU et al.

Simply put... saying that one has more horsepower means ultimately nothing when you don't have any games present. At the moment, while I love my retro gaming like no other - I keep a Dreamcast around, I still have an NEO-GEO console as well among others - and I enjoy emulation; that does not mean it's better for games.

Not in the same wholesale manner you just painted it. With that said; let's just say I have high hopes for the N900. But at the moment, the fact that I'm actually playing Unity3D based games on the iPhone and I don't see that immediately happening on the N900 is my personal concern. Well that and gaming on the N810 was for all intents and purposes rather limited despite it being a great platform for games as well.

It's all about the games. A number about what it can do is invariably theoretical and not real-world applicable in the least.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I read this long thread while contemplating what to get to replace my crappy N96. I got this phone after my trusted N95 broke down and I had to get a replacement. Boy have I been dissapointed.

Anyway, I was a very happy N800 user until that failed too and I am now a (mostly) a happy iTouch user (using JoikuSpot on N96 to create a wifi hotspot). Since I am unhappy with the poor performance of the N96, I have been wondering weather i should trade up. And I really have only two choices: iPhone or N900. Both have their pros and cons.

You have to remember that Nokia has been making smartphones for a long time (the communicator line) and Nokia is very experienced with corporate integration. At the same time the really positive experience with Apple's music & apps store and the easy usability vs. the really, I mean REALLY crappy applications software that Nokia has been able to produce for desktop computers so far - it leaves a lot to desire. Not to mention the user (un)friendliness of the early Maemos (N800).
So I am really pondering between power (Nokia) or user friendliness (Apple). I just wish that Nokia could get their act together and come at least a little closer to Apple in user friendliness, because I do think that their offering is otherwise very attractive.
This is a non-geeks note on a geek forum.

PS: On-line maps may be ok in the US, but in Europe, where travelling most of time includes crossing borders and expensive roaming charges, the ability to load maps on board saves also a lot of money. Just my 5 cents worth ...

The Following User Says Thank You to jaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaus View Post
iPhone or N900. Both have their pros and cons.
Yes they do,

If you "only" want to use a phone go for the iPhone, if you want to own your phone, go for the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to WannaDoIt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
iphone great

n900 great

i recommend phones all the time- and to most of the peops i know an iphone is the way forward.

if i had to pick one for myself ni900 all the way- but i do have both.. and use both..

At this point, the iPhone is a much more "complete" device.

The N900 on the other hand has much greater potential than the iPhone.

It is a question of whether you are willing to wait and for how long.

In my opinion, if the community grows and Nokia gives the support that is needed, the N900 will be better than iPhone in about 6 Months.

It still has some features now that beat the iPhone hands down (browser, keyboard, multitasking etc)

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Houston TX
^^rightly said mate the iphone offers more usability features for a consumer at this point of time but the n900 has the necessary hardware to take it places wer i guess no present phone stands a chance.but alas patience is the virtue all prospective n900 users should have because the wait is certainly gonna b worth it..or atleast i hope..Merry christmas y'all

Originally Posted by vinverth View Post
^^rightly said mate the iphone offers more usability features for a consumer at this point of time but the n900 has the necessary hardware to take it places wer i guess no present phone stands a chance.but alas patience is the virtue all prospective n900 users should have because the wait is certainly gonna b worth it..or atleast i hope..Merry christmas y'all
Yeap!

And by being open, the N900 can catch up really fast IMHO!

Merry christmas from me too!

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
catergories winner
battery split -- iphone unmovable/n900 battery issues
speed/interface split
stability iphone
internet n900
ease of use iphone
adaptabilty iphone- app store beats potential atm
camera n900
keyboard split-- iphone's touch is great/nokia hw keypad
gps split