Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by srk052004 View Post
Thanks, YoDude, for your response. I am delaying my purchase of any new phone in the hopes that some of what I need will be provided on the N900 (it's ok if I have to pay, within reason). I can do some hacking, but I'm not skilled the way many (most?) of the participants here are.

Since my last post, another issue has emerged, but it's OT, so I will be very brief. Since T-Mobile USA has not indicated it will support the N900, any tech support will need to go either online or with Nokia support. But Nokia support comes from a boiler room staffed by people who do not speak English very well. Evidently, Nokia does not, as yet, consider their flagship phone worthy of flagship tech support. Sigh.
How about you discuss this somewhere else instead of in the Java for Maemo 5 thread? None of your posts in this thread have been on-topic...

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
How about you discuss this somewhere else instead of in the Java for Maemo 5 thread? None of your posts in this thread have been on-topic...
False. I'd say about 80% of my posts are on-topic, but your "silo" mentality does not allow you to see this.

Anyway, I've had enough. When three (3) Maemo biggies show nothing but indifference or contempt for my perspective, I know it's time for me to delete my posts and leave (which I will do now). When Nokia actually wants to sell flagship devices, I can be brought back for a consult--with pay.

Last edited by srk052004; 2009-11-10 at 02:24.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
What's a Maemo biggie? And do they have control over what Nokia sells?

I just want someone to port OpenJDK to Maemo.

EDIT. and Dalvik! I forgot Dalvik! That too, please.

Last edited by qole; 2009-11-10 at 02:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
iPaq failure
Yeah, a lot of the older Windows Mobile (mostly branded as Windows CE) pda only type devices used a single pool of volatile RAM as RAM AND storage. Who thought that this was a good idea needs to be stabbed, of course, but it's important to realise that this has no bearing on newer devices, using non-volatile flash for their storage.

Still, Windows Mobile has godawful fit and finish (a bit like their desktop operating systems) and it really pokes through at times, even when using HTC's excellent TouchFlo

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I'd like to take my shopping list with me 'Smart shopper'. I can live without the rest.
Sounds like another good idea for a widget based app to me. You're getting very good at generating good ideas Kathy. Keep going please

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by srk052004 View Post
False. I'd say about 80% of my posts are on-topic, but your "silo" mentality does not allow you to see this.

Anyway, I've had enough. When three (3) Maemo biggies show nothing but indifference or contempt for my perspective, I know it's time for me to delete my posts and leave (which I will do now). When Nokia actually wants to sell flagship devices, I can be brought back for a consult--with pay.
So that would be what 3 out of the 4 posts you have .

Sorry I know thats offtopic
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Sounds like another good idea for a widget based app to me. You're getting very good at generating good ideas Kathy. Keep going please
I believe there's an app called 'shopper' which might be ported? I'm optimistic. And I gather pyrecipe has a shopping list facility. No idea how useful that is for what I want till I can try it out.

But thinking about all the thousands (millions?) of java games and software out there (Some very good and some total crap) it would solve the problem of "Only 55 apps" if we had java!

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
My shopping list application is the 'todo' application on my Palm PDA.. I have a semi-permanent list of items (milk, cheese, onions etc) there and I simply tick them off (as in removing a tick if there's one) at the moment I realise I'm out of, say, rice. I only rarely have time to visit shops, so when the chance comes up I simply walk in and get my PDA out. There will be a list of 'unticked' groceries there, and I don't have to remember anything.

This works very well for me. I saw the idea mentioned in a PDA magazine years ago and thought it sounded stupid. But later I found that it was brilliant.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
I have now posted the two brainstorm proposals with the discussed solutions. i'll leave the wiki page as-is for now.

Please vote here for Java ME solutions.

Please vote here for Java SE solutions.

*push*

since the brainstorm voting system has been changed (did i miss the announcement?), all the votes have been lost or hidden, so i would kindly ask anyone interested in java to vote again plz!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Gouda, Netherlands
I put in a vote for Java ME. The reason is:

- On any computer equipped with a browser (that includes Java) I can reach my workstation.
- The N900 has a great browser which works wonderful.
- It just lacks the Java support needed.

To do what? Use Secure Global Desktop (SGD) to reach my workstation (safely placed in a datacenter) and get work done.

For more on SGD: Wiki page 1.
For the type of Java support needed: Wiki page 2.

I really hope Java support will arrive soon. It would finish the "computer in your pocket".