When I connect via USB to my laptop andclick mass storage mode. I get the following message 'Unable to connect via USB. Device storage in use'
My N900 wont mount on my desktop so now I have no way of transfering music anymore. It has worked fine for the last fortnight so don't know what's changed. I cannot use PC suite as I am using a mac. Can anyone help? I have installed any applications on my N900 except for bounce.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Just make sure that no program is accessing your /home/user/MyDocs (shell, file manager, media player)... Then it should be possible. So If really no applications are running it should be definitely be possible to use it as mass storage device.

Another way is to use ssh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emesem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Romania, Bucharest
also u can look for debian chroot image if you installed it already, it uses the mc too

The Following User Says Thank You to onutz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
When I connect via USB to my laptop andclick mass storage mode. I get the following message 'Unable to connect via USB. Device storage in use'
On the N900, open a root terminal and type

Code:
lsof | grep MyDocs
This will give you a list of programs accessing the MyDocs folder. something like this:
Code:
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# lsof | grep MyDocs
sh        3474       user  cwd    DIR      179,1    65536       4326 /home/user/MyDocs/tmp
this is acutally an XTerminal program cd'ed into the tmp folder in MyDocs. Note the process-id (3474)

kill the offending program(s):
Code:
kill -9 3474
Try connecting the USB cable again. HTH

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your help guys. I tried restarting the phone (after you, Emesem, said something was trying to access the mydocs) and I also restarted my Mac and it's working again!!! I'm glad I didn't have to use terminal, it looks complicated. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone who's tried to help me. Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
archebyte: Good advice, but one should always try a kill <pid> before a kill -9 <pid> to let the app shut down gracefully if possible.

Originally Posted by onutz View Post
also u can look for debian chroot image if you installed it already, it uses the mc too
Thanks for your surgestion, but I've really no idea what debian chroot is...

Originally Posted by floffe View Post
archebyte: Good advice, but one should always try a kill <pid> before a kill -9 <pid> to let the app shut down gracefully if possible.
You guys have lost me!

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
The kill command from the terminal tells apps to shut down. The pid is short for process id, which archebyte mentioned above, and used to send the shutdown signal to the right process = app. Running kill process-id tells that app to shutdown pretty much the same way as clicking an X in the top corner (think ringing a doorbell and asking the person answering to please leave). kill -9 process-id kills the app immediately, not letting it save open stuff and so on (think smashing open the door and forcefully throwing out the person).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
You guys have lost me!
The process id (PID) is like a serial number that uniquely and succinctly identifies an instance of a program that is running. (More than one instance of a program might be running at the same time.)

kill is an application that can be run by simply typing kill in a terminal. kill PID is like asking a troublesome guest with ID # PID to leave.

-9 is an option that modifies the behavior of the application kill. kill -9 PID is like cutting the head off a troublesome guest, possibly making a mess, and increasing risk of harm to yourself.

Last edited by j.s; 2009-12-27 at 00:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post: