Active Topics

Poll: KDE POLL?
Poll Options
KDE POLL?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
This is a poll to determine who wants to have KDE available as an alternative window manager made into easy to use debs and try to spur developers to join together to optimize KDE for the nokia platform. I and others have proved KDE can run pretty decent on this platform, I am looking forward to the 2GB OS. This thing can do so much, we just need to make all the software available on this platform, and the quickest way to do that is any WM besides matchbox.

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ queen creek , AZ
Did you ever try gnome ... If you did how did that run...i use fedora core 5 with gnome and am verry familiar wth it

Originally Posted by realcomix View Post
Did you ever try gnome ... If you did how did that run...i use fedora core 5 with gnome and am verry familiar wth it
I have tried gnome because I initially thought it would be easier to compile. This proved not to be the case, I had much better luck with KDE

I don't own a n800 but i'm really excited about your kde project. This might be the only reason for me to get another nokia tablet.

Other : I tried and liked WM6, would try and probably like KDE too, but only if it can be made to work on a 770 :-)

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Other : I tried and liked WM6, would try and probably like KDE too, but only if it can be made to work on a 770 :-)
Not sure if anyone has tried it on the 770? It may work, on the 2007 OS for 770. It will take up close to 1GB after installing OS and then adding KDE, so I reccomend a minimium 2GB partition and 128MB swap, or as big as you can put on 770? I wish I still had mine, I would tell you for sure.

AFAIK you can't have more than 2GB (total) on a 770, because there's only one slot, and that's RS-MMC :-)

KDE is a very nice environment with a huge amount of very useful apps. It is also major bloatware which I feel is not fast enough to increase the value of the N800. I think N800 apps should be written/re-written to suit their environment, so I think KDE is a bad match for the N800.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Manchester
a maemo like interface based on Qt might be good, to ease porting KDE apps.

all of KDE on a n800 would be just as pointless as all of gnome.

i dont think the n800 has enough RAM to have the gtk and qt libraries in memory at the same time.

The one feature kde has that I really wish the current xwindows system had is the ability to drag icons out of menus and drop them on the desktop. I'd be happy with just that.