Hi,

I listen to radio via iPlayer when going to sleep through microb and over wifi. Just recently though it's started to stutter - it's actually more like an audio dropout - the sound drops and picks up again a moment later. It misses out the silent part rather than pausing to buffer or anything like that.

I've checked with conky and there doesn't really seem to be much going on at the same time so I don't think it's processor related. It shouldn't be bandwidth related either to my router or two my N900 - again there's nothing going on at the same time.

Does anybody else listen to the radio over iPlayer - is it just me or is there some other issue?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I have noticed the same thing, listening to BBC iPlayer Radio 4. It exhibited the same odd regular dropouts over WiFi and over 3G. Regular computer playback using the same service does not.

It sounded to me more like an audio buffer sync overflow/underflow problem, getting audio from Flash to the speakers, than a network packet drop but it's difficult to tell.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Wizbowes, I don't have the 900 but I use my N810 all the time to listen to BBC radio. There's a great site containing iPlayer links as RealAudio streams which load and play much more quickly than the iPlayer equivalents (at least they do on my N810). Try this:

http://www.beebotron.org/index.php?r...en_Again_Links

or this for the live radio:
http://www.beebotron.org/index.php?r...ve_Radio_Links

Even for the live radio I always find the RealAudio streams work best. You get a very occasional bandwidth or buffing delay but you don't miss anything.

Actually, the site's worth exploring - it has lots of other interesting stuff if you're into "Listen Again".

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gs1 For This Useful Post:
Thanks gs1.

I actually use beebatron a fair amount but it's quite painful to use if you're just browsing. iPlayer (and formally the listen again sites) are much better if you're not sure what you're after.

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
I have noticed the same thing, listening to BBC iPlayer Radio 4.l.
Thanks - if it's not just me at least I can stop pricking about with my network trying to solve it. Let's see what the next firmware brings when it arrives....