Active Topics

I was just reading the 770 manual and came across this:

"Note: A small number of missing, discolored, or bright dots may
appear on the screen. This is a characteristic of this type of
display. Some displays may contain pixels or dots that remain on
or off. This is normal, not a fault."

If I understand this correctly, they're talking about stuck pixels and I've always thought of stuck pixels as a problem. Am I missing something, here?

How many people have units with stuck pixels?

-j

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
I saw that too. I guess it's just their way of apologising for their lack of quality control...

P

That's my worry. I'm thinking about buying a 770, but I'd hate to see that awesome screen marred by bad pixels. Maybe I'll go down to CompUSA and try out the units before I buy instead of buying directly from Nokia.

-j

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Keep in mind how small the pixels actually are... 320,000 of them crammed into a 2.7" diagnal...

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by joemadeus
That's my worry. I'm thinking about buying a 770, but I'd hate to see that awesome screen marred by bad pixels. Maybe I'll go down to CompUSA and try out the units before I buy instead of buying directly from Nokia.

-j

30 day money back guarantee from Nokia. . .

Stuck pixels have been an issue on active matrix screens from day one.

An active matrix screen has a transistor for every single sub-pixel - so for the 770, 800x480x3 == 1,152,000, or over a million.

Like all semiconductors, transistors sometimes are defective. I remember with early AM PowerBooks, Apple had some standards about how many were tolerable. The number, the color, and their location on the screen were relevant.

A single bright green dot in the middle of your screen would probably qualify for a replacement. An area that never became yellow 1cm from the edge wouldn't be enough, on its own.

I remember reading that some of the early production lines had a _two_thirds_ rejection rate - even with moderately lax standards.

Do I want any dead pixels? Hell no. I haven't spotted one on my screen, so I consider myself reasonably lucky. But, Nokia's policy is in line with the norm in the industry. If 20% more displays were rejected, then they'd all cost more.

I have one green pixel stuck on. It is only mildly annoying. After the stock catches up, I will try and RMA.

Originally Posted by bhima
Stuck pixels have been an issue on active matrix screens from day one.

I remember reading that some of the early production lines had a _two_thirds_ rejection rate - even with moderately lax standards.

Do I want any dead pixels? Hell no. I haven't spotted one on my screen, so I consider myself reasonably lucky. But, Nokia's policy is in line with the norm in the industry. If 20% more displays were rejected, then they'd all cost more.
I know where you're coming from, and I agree, but saying that '...Some displays may contain pixels or dots that remain on or off. This is normal, not a fault." is outright false (it's the 'not a fault' part.) I think I'm reacting more to Nokia's spin on this than the fact that these screens have a defect rate.

Still, does anyone know what defect rate for these screens? Any interest in a poll? (if this site supports it - I'm new here)

-j

Originally Posted by putkowski
30 day money back guarantee from Nokia. . .
Probably doesn't cover pixels, unless there are too many of them or in the wrong place.

My iBook has one in the middle, about 2cm up from the bezel - above the iBook logo. To be honest, I never see it unless there's a plain blue background on the screen. With a browser window open,or anything else that's a white background, I don't even know it's there.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Virginia Beach, VA USA
I don't see why the 770 would be any different from any other LCD device. Laptops, LCD monitors, LCD TVs... all manufacturers have a certain number of stuck pixels that they consider "acceptable."