Posts: 34 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I used to have a script on my N810 that would run after startup and then it would writes lines from the the last known gps position data to a file. That would then get uploaded to my ftp server in 15min intervals when connected to wlan.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
As soon as I get my n900 - if there will not yet be such a software - I will definitely write an app to achieve just this. It will be a daemon running in the background checking for a single character in the web domain somewhere. if your n900 gets stolen, you can set it to something else then 0 to activate the tracking. It will send GPS info over the internet and SMS as well as pictures taken using the front camera - possibly to grab a picture of the culprit. You will also be able to instruct it to upload specific data at this point at least to save important data if you don't recover the phone, and gain ssh access.

At least this is what I'm planning. I can only start to go into details when I finally get the phone.
If this becomes successful, it will be one of the best anti-theft program in the market.

Originally Posted by ozen78 View Post
I used to have a script on my N810 that would run after startup and then it would writes lines from the the last known gps position data to a file. That would then get uploaded to my ftp server in 15min intervals when connected to wlan.
Can you please share the script with us? I can try to modify it to work on N900 with, let's say, sending mail with the last coordinates.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vadi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I am +1 on this bro.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
up for this!!

Love that, send text to phone to activate, next time phone touched it takes some secret pics, only one problem, no mms to send them back haha Could email them i suppose..

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I read this story a little while ago and I think it is pertinent to this thread:

http://happywaffle.livejournal.com/5890.html

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
If you read closely "used to have".

Code is based on python script Mehere by Glen Murphy.

Problems:
1. I have come across trying to implement something similar on N900. I need to reference /dev/ttyS0 (GPS). I think this is now done via "liblocation" api which I am not familiar with.

2. Currently not sure how to do this on the N900 as I am not aware of an ftp application for the N900.

The script to upload the file to a server is fairly easy as is the script to write the GPS last location data from liblocation to the text file, then upload this to a server on the internet.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
I actually have been working on an application kind of like this. As long as I don't get bogged down in my other projects, I hope to have a program ready within the next month or two.

Last edited by flux41; 2009-12-29 at 22:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flux41 For This Useful Post:
would have need such an application today, mine just got stolen at work......

sounds like a great idea, keep going!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tetharion For This Useful Post: