Originally Posted by lma View Post
Unfortunately that's just a binary attachment for a closed component, so we probably can't re-distribute it.
Sorry, I thought I'd done my homework on this, but clearly I was wrong. Even with the list of closed components, it can be hard to figure this stuff out. (Is metalayer-crawler the same as libmetalayer? Exactly what library contains the bug? Those kinds of questions.)

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Unfortunately that's just a binary attachment for a closed component, so we probably can't re-distribute it.
I think we will be able to. Nokia seems open to the idea of the community pushing this SSU, and an SSU certainly can't be composed entirely of open pieces; that would be absurd.

The binary in question was posted in a public place; it's not like anyone would be "stealing" it. And the SSU would only be going out to device owners, anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
could some sort of project leader get the keys to maintain/push the proprietary bits from Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to solarion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The binary in question was posted in a public place; it's not like anyone would be "stealing" it. And the SSU would only be going out to device owners, anyway.
There's no explicit or implicit redistribution licence that I can see. The .deb's licence is "Copyright (C) 2006 Nokia Corporation. All rights reserved." and the bugzilla attachment is clearly marked "for testing". So at best it's a gray area, and I don't think we should start taking liberties. It doesn't hurt to ask though, would you like to?

Alternatively, Nokia can push it to the community repo themselves once it's up and running :-)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Alternatively, Nokia can push it to the community repo themselves once it's up and running :-)
I think the time to ask for these closed bits will be when there's somewhere for us to receive them, ie the community repo. I suspect that Nokia will be willing to upload stuff as long as it isn't too much work for them, and maybe let us package stuff that is too much hassle for them to do.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think the time to ask for these closed bits will be when there's somewhere for us to receive them, ie the community repo.
True. In the meantime, since the creation of the repo etc doesn't seem to be moving forward, could you push for it a bit in the November sprint?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi!

I have set up a new repository on the new infrastructure generously provided by Nokia for community SSU packages. The new repo is not yet public but I would like to test it with some packages and get it ready for when it becomes publicly viewable.

If anyone has an SSU to submit, please let me know.

Jeremiah
---
jeremiah@maemo.org

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Can you explain a bit more WTF you mean? Sry, I'm not quite following what packages will be in this repo.

Jeremiah's blog announcement:
http://blog.jeremiahfoster.com/?p=200

SSU = Seamless Software Update:
http://wiki.maemo.org/SSU

This is somewhat similar to `apt-get upgrade`, AFAICT, but just doing individual packages one-at-a-time, ala Hildon Application Manager, instead of all at once like `apt-get upgrade`.

Some further explanation would be helpful. thx

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
Can you explain a bit more WTF you mean?
Sure!

Let's say there are lots of people with N810s out there. They want some of the goodies in fremantle, but they don't want to buy a new device.

With the community repo, we can backport stuff, like bug fixes, new libraries, etc. to older devices. By first integrating the software into diablo, testing it, then pushing out a new diablo SSU, we can reach people who want to update their N810 or N800 for example.

All of this done by the community without having to wait for Nokia.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post:
aha, title and blog post are missing very important keyword: DIABLO. Without that this doensn't make much sense

Last edited by mikkov; 2009-12-30 at 22:35.

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo