I'll start: This is my first phone ever, well cell phone. I'm 27 and never seemed to need one. I have an ipod touch and really am not a fan of itunes or its app store. I hacked my first gen ipod touch long before the app store, and I thought it was just amazing til apple ruined it with their app store. Too many developers are in it now for a quick buck. It was just so open and cool. I hacked my psp. The homebrew internet browser, Links 2, all of a sudden made my psp usable for surfing., no memory errors! Ohh and I have over 1000 videogames between pc/console (mostly console) so why should I have to pay for them twice? And then I hacked my wii, so I could play the import tasaneko vs. Capcom, that I bought from playasia and then theres all the other cool homebrew stuff on it like shooting galleries and stuff. .............But the thing is Sony, Nintendo, Apple all try tp end this. Like I had trouble playing a new legally bought game on my psp, had to get new firmware. On my wii for Christmas I got the New Super Mario Bros. and I couldn't play it with my friend, later that night after he was gone I got it going after a few hours of frustration. Don't even get me started on driver signing in vista/win 7 64bit (even though there's a work around now). I am sick of MY devices being run THEIR way. Power to the people.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mas5acre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Damn, you sure youre 27?

My reason's simple. I'm a Unix Systems Engineer at the day job. This thing runs Linux. Good enough reason for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to pagesix1536 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
i bought it for about 450 after taxes and rebate, which is a very good price point for me I could have gotten it for around 380 from dell, but long story short, i ended up with the 450 price.
  • the price point itself is such as good deal for a device like this
  • the panormaic desktop, widgets, and the look
  • 5 MP camera, not as good as my 10MP but can still take great photos when i need to.
  • All the extra features it has like infrared and fm transmitter
  • Most importantly because it's an internet tablet, and i'ma geek that's constantly surfing the web

i've considered other phones like the HD2, an iphone, milestone. But although 500 isn't cheap, I feel I got A LOT for my money's worth.

Overall i'm still very satisfied with my purchase, and It feels good to have a unique, and such a complimentary phone to my lifestyle. And although there was a lot of alternatives and maemo 6 is a relatively premature OS, I have much belief in it's potential

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
My reasons are quite practical. Over the years, I have accumulated a lot of devices: laptop, Palm Pilot (now dead and gone), digital SLR, handheld GPS, cell phone and music player. I was getting tired of two things:
a) so many separate devices to lug around
b) cell phones that claim to have PDA/PIM features (like my old Palm Pilot) but which are pathetically crappy at it. I speak in particular of the Motorola E815 and the Sony-Ericsson Z710i, my last two cell phones. Absolutely atrocious! The best app on the Z710i was the Timer, which I used a lot.

I had pretty much decided to get a HTC Touch HD last September when I found out about the N900. As a long-time software developer, the potential of the N900 was appealing. So I pre-ordered one in September and received it on Dec. 7.

I was ecstatic when Nokia PC Suite transfered all my contacts, appointments, tasks and notes from Outlook 2007 to the N900 -- about 4000 records in total. And very quickly too I might add.

The first app I installed was Free42 -- at last, a REAL calculator in my cell phone.

Of course there are still lots of bugs to fix and the apps still need some work, but the N900 is great device.

I was on market for a portable music player. The two main forces the Zune HD and the Touch both were lacking something I wanted.

Zune - No bluetooth

Touch - Not so great support in video codecs and dont like the idea of using itunes and messing with DRM and stuff.

So started to look at smartphones.

Once I got into the phones I found the N900 had a higher support for music/video codecs than almost any other device, had the 3.5" jack, has a good internal memory size with expandable memory via the micro SD card slot, and it had enough power inside of it to run videos without issue.

When I saw the price to be much lower than the other smartphones and the fact I can have just one device instead of two, it was a no brainer.

Now that I have it, I can explore the device further and take advantage of all it has to offer in additon to just what I was originally looking for.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
wanted n800 with faster processor and better qwerty than n810 has. got a hell lotta more!
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
wanted n800 with faster processor and better qwerty than n810 has. got a hell lotta more!
same here, after using and love the N810 I know it was hard for the N900 to disappoint me. It was faster, hard bigger memory, better UI, and it had a gsm radio with a 5mp camera. It is the best phone I have ever owned. and I have owned quite a few phones/mobile devices

It wasnt hard making a choice, I wanted something open, that worked well with linux ( which ruled out the iphoney) and I wanted something that was fast and allowed native code not just java ( ruled out android) N900 was just the perfect device for me.

My Blog

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Hmmm well had a few phones in a bit more than a decade((around 1998 or so iirc)5110 - 6 years, 5140i, N95(last 18 months))

As a phone the one I liked most was the 5110... The thing can still run a week on the original battery. So basically I was looking for a mobile computer that had the basic features of the 5110 for the phone. And with the N900 I found that

I'm disapointed though that the mail client is such a poor thing.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
I needed a convergence device between my cell phone and my N800 tablet (too big to fit in my pockets). I also wanted the openness and the fact that it runs Linux (I am a UNIX sys admin at the heart, so yes, this is a very important point for me)

The N900 proves to be exactly the device I waited for so long (even with its shortcoming concerning the telephony part, but I don't really care since I'm not a heavy cell-phone user), so I have absolutely no regret with my purchase for the moment!

4 reasons.
I fed up with windows mobile being so crap.
it has large screen, keyboard and desktop like browser

Tags
choices, n900, reason for purchase, reasons for purchase, why did you buy, why did you choose, why did you select