Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
...that could be so nice - if we had only more female contributors in this forum

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
Uupps - still: could be fun!

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
You are expressing my very feeling in this matter Thanks. Guys, take it easy. It was Christmas 6 days ago, chill out, enjoy it The update WILL come.
But it would be much nicer to see it even at the horizont...
When i bought my E90 2 and a half year ago bugfixes were promised. Today they are not promised any more - but they also didnt come. The E90 is just old and support time is over... No need to get the same with the N900... N900 is my last try with a Nokia - if i get so "much" support for it by nokia again i have fooled myself again...

But its right - perhaps i should have known better than to hope...
Still hoping that maemo-support will be there by community coders because maemo isnt as closed as symbian.
But when looking back to my E90-time i dont like every single day waiting for update and not even being sure that it will come...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
You must be kidding - right? Maybe the "promised stuff" is there - but does not work (MfE just as an example)...
MfE works but it doesn't support the google implementation or old exchange versions. so it is crippled but it still is included

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
You are kidding, right?

A phone that can only dial some numbers sounds to me like something that requires an immediate fix.

But Nokia did not promise that the N900 can dial numbers starting with 7, so maybe the inability to dial such numbers will be the great feature of the new firmware.
I bet you are kidding.

what are you trying to say? you can't dial to certain phone numbers? are you using some doping?

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/
applications:
-phone
so a phone application that can be presumed to be able to dial numbers starting with 7. (aka basic functionality of phones from 19xx)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
This message is hidden because OrangeBox is on your ignore list.
I totally agree.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

no update yet?

Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
It's a great product for the crowd it was intended.
just for the record: according to you, which crowd did this promo cater to?

The Following User Says Thank You to koroviov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
So, while I agree with you that incremental package-level unstable releases would be good for Maemo, let's not pretend that it's a simple process with an easy immediate answer.
No really, it is. I don't understand the origin of this sense that incremental per-package updates to a Linux system (particularly one using the Debian packaging tools) is in some way hard or not well understood.

People have been doing this as a matter of routine on OSes bigger and more complicated than Maemo, with less well coordinated package maintainers, for a very long time now. Add to that the fact that the levels of similarity between Maemo 5 installs is going to be much higher than it is between that of most desktop distributions, and Maemo updates should be even simpler. If everyone else can manage it, so can Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
No really, it is. I don't understand the origin of this sense that incremental per-package updates to a Linux system (particularly one using the Debian packaging tools) is in some way hard or not well understood.
It isn't. The technical issue aren't the only issues involved. There are legal, process and management issues that affect how updates are built and delivered and making changes to these processes isn't a simple nor easy thing to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
(a) in order to say that someone's statement that they "expected" something to be done at a certain date is false, you have to prove that they did NOT EXPECT IT.

(b) do you really want them to put out the update now regardless of whether it is ready? I personally don't want a fix that is known to be defective. Maybe you angry people don't care what happens to your expensive tablets, you just want the fix out when you expected it?

Tags
fictional update, limpware