after running the N900 for a few weeks now without any big problems.
my virtual keyboard has gone and disappeared.
i checked the settings, it's still checked, just doesn't open.
it's not an issue of the hardware keyboard being open.

help?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I will admit I have had n900 for a week, and I have no idea how to open virtual keyboard. I enabled it but have no clue where it is supposed to be?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Maryland, USA
Did you guys click the SAVE button after enabling the virtual keyboard. I had the same problem until I realized I needed to click save.
Hope this helps

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Try disabling (save) and enabling (save). Close the physical keyboard and check on a address field or similar. Also check this, wait for the device to sleep (screen off), see if it wakes up when you open the physical keyboard. This makes sure that the system can sense the physical keyboard status if it doesn't then its probably hardware issue, else its probably software glitch I think.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Münster
same issues here since this morning. unfortunately i did not keep track, what the last peace of software installed was. just have the device for two days now.
only extras-devel app was unzip.

is there a way to regain virt. keyb. access without reflashing?

i already deinstalled lots of software

any advice or idea is welcome

cheers.
nergal

for me it works again. i deinstalled pidgin, cpu-load-notification, witter, omweather. so except pixelpipe, pyoptify, microblogging and ogg-support my apps are reduced to factory-settings.
a restart after this was needed. so i cannot confurm what exactly did the magic.

i would be very happy, if anyone could confirm one of these apps to be buggy, so we can write a report.

now ... off buying a softshell for my beloved n900

Originally Posted by nergal View Post
for me it works again. i deinstalled pidgin, cpu-load-notification, witter, omweather. so except pixelpipe, pyoptify, microblogging and ogg-support my apps are reduced to factory-settings.
a restart after this was needed. so i cannot confurm what exactly did the magic.

i would be very happy, if anyone could confirm one of these apps to be buggy, so we can write a report.

now ... off buying a softshell for my beloved n900

i have the same issue since i installed Tear browser and bluemaemo coz these are the only app i instaled the last 3 days@the time of Virtual keyboard disappearance!! so when i uninstall them wala!! the keyboard back again!!

i decided to make it systematically and i think the culprit is ad-block plus with something else. after re-installing several of my before deleted apps and making a list until the same effect of missing software keyboard. always booting for each new app (felt like windows ). it took *two* times booting after ad-block installation. retracing my steps i came to this result.
i do not think it is ad-nlock alone. i believe it might have something to do with additional browsers. i still had the xul-runner of fennec on my device.
if we could isolate it better, it would be more easy to write a bugreport for the two colliding apps.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I just started using the virtual keyboard today. I am finding it faster, less distracting, and more convenient than the physical keyboard.

hi, got a similiar problem with the virt keyboard.
I am a brand new user(formerN97), when i started the virt keyboard was there. now-after inst many apps (about 30) there is no way to open the virt keyboard, can only use the hardware input. However, I do not want to uninstall app by app and restart my phone in order to find out which app caused the prob. Does anyone know a better way, or are I am missing something.
TIA, RR