Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Devil,

are you going to enable the special power-saving mode?

FYI. I did a similar test on a completely unmodified phone:
- No 3G, At&t GSM only (does not hunt for 3G), no WIFI at all
- logged in to gtalk, skpe via conversations
- Nokia Messaging check every 30 mins from 8am to midnight
- stock phone, nothing installed at all
- no other apps running

in 24hrs the battery had 28% left.

Contrast to the same test(as similar as I could) on the E71 (Using Fring for gtalk+skype), 59 hours to get to 30% left.
sounds a little power rangery the special power savings mode.

I have every option for power saving on and almost no apps installed. Even though installed if they dont run it wont matter (or i would like to believe this very bad because if so it would be a real shame) no weird apps, just vnc and fm radio player installed.

i am not going to degrade my own existence by switching to 2g only. emails do not automatically send receive and no nokia messaging or other background apps.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Any idea why Nokia did not enable it? oversight, slow wakeup response or loss of functionality (what?)
I tried SmartFlex - my N900 got a 32wd_to reboot (see bug 6334) in 6hours then I played with e-mail client and it was a very first time after I purchased N900 at the end of November I think it can be an answer to your question.

Originally Posted by Devil View Post
i am not going to degrade my own existence by switching to 2g only. emails do not automatically send receive and no nokia messaging or other background apps.
Set Automatic connection to your 3G provider, switch OFF-ON, after powering ON - kill WiFi by "stop wlancond", unload 3 drivers - "rmmod wl12xx", "rmmod mac82011", "rmmod crc7" and you would enjoy a 48h battery life (If you don't video, of course).

WiFi power drain is a cause of short battery life but not 3G. It looks like Nokia already fixed it ... but in internal release. Some people test it and reports a good results - see comment 58, bug 6615.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
I tried SmartFlex - my N900 got a 32wd_to reboot (see bug 6334) in 6hours then I played with e-mail client and it was a very first time after I purchased N900 at the end of November I think it can be an answer to your question.
It would be nice to see if all n900's reboot in the same scenario when SmartFlex is turned on.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Set Automatic connection to your 3G provider, switch OFF-ON, after powering ON - kill WiFi by "stop wlancond", unload 3 drivers - "rmmod wl12xx", "rmmod mac82011", "rmmod crc7" and you would enjoy a 48h battery life (If you don't video, of course).
so you say after a reboot those 3 drivers and wlancond run and they suck my battery life?

But this will all be fixed in the next FW update?

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
It would be nice to see if all n900's reboot in the same scenario when SmartFlex is turned on.
Disabled SmartFlex, playing with e-mail and looking for reboot. So far (one day) - no reboots.

so you say after a reboot those 3 drivers and wlancond run and they suck my battery life?
Looks like... even you don't use WiFi.

But this will all be fixed in the next FW update?
Some people was selected to test a new FW and reports it (see bug 6615).

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Looks like... even you don't use WiFi.

Some people was selected to test a new FW and reports it (see bug 6615).
thats the old firmware. the one im using now.

will this be fixed in the new firmware? (to be released q1 2010)
thought i understood that from your previous post.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
will this be fixed in the new firmware? (to be released q1 2010)
thought i understood that from your previous post.
Yes.

... ...

Has anyone else noticed if snoozing the alarm clock has an effect on their battery life? I woke up around 6 this morning and my phone had finished charging so I unplugged it. Then my alarm went off at 9:00 and I pressed snooze about 4 times with 10 minute intervals. When I finally got up at 9:45 the battery was half drained.

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor