Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
i disabled 3g, but i only got 3 more hours of idle usage

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I have to admit, turning 3G off worked for me...also restarting after WiFi disconnection worked as well.
But really, for a device that is SUPPOSED to be an internet tablet/phone...whats the point if you have to avoid using Wifi/3G to stay connected? Granted, some people call it a mini-computer (and therefore justify the lousy battery life) but lets hope and prey this is sorted out in the next firmware update.
(Unless it's a sly tactic by Nokia to get us all to buy a spare battery!!!)

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by glococo View Post
One question, Can I use the N900 always in 3G ? (only 3G) ?

Personaly, and in my company, all employees use xmpp in n85 / n95 / n86 througt nimbuzz client. I offen drain my battery in 12hs with 1200mah working only in 3G. (dual mode or 2.5g is painfull=cant talk)

Remaind that we always call over VoIP xmpp (across many domains)

For us, for my friends and for me, XMPP is crucial, specially jingle-xmpp support.

Best regards,

PS: by the way, Who want a full featured phone in gsm to use with MSN propietary protocol=closed network without calling over IP capabilities ?

Hope N900 have a MUCH bigger battery to last at least a day in 3G.
Settings->Phone->Network Mode->3G

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
OK. same here. I disabled my 3G and the phone has been on (mostly idle) for the past 14 hours and is STILL FULL!!!! Normally it would be about 15% down (with the same minimal usage). Something is definitely not right with the N900's 3G protocols (or whatever it's called). Although I'm in China using a new telecom provider so maybe their 3G service isn't up to par yet but it looks like - from the majority of posts - that this is a phone fault. I also hope it gets sorted soon as I love this phone to death and can't stop admiring it while it sits here on my desk. Nokia, Maemo - Kudos on a job well done (even if it's still a little half-finished). I hope more people buy this phone so that more attention is paid to its development.

the problem is :
if i disable 3G : i gain battery life
if i disable WIFI : i gain battery life
if i disable Internet browsing : i gain battery life
if i disable ...

so what the interest of the phone that cannot take over 7hours by day ?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
I agree, I disabled 3G and have been online with GSM (GPRS) and 2.5G all day but it's slow as all hell and it's not even worth it. keeps telling me cellular data not available and a weak signal, looks like China Unicom has better 3G than 2G. anyway, whats the point of having such a powerful device if I can't use it. I'll just have to resort to carrying my charger with me all the time (which I've been doing recently and charging 1-2x a day but using as much as I want without worrying about getting home to recharge) Oh well, really hope the next firmware fixes it!!! this is by far my biggest complaint. that and no proper MSN/QQ implementation.

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
I agree, I disabled 3G and have been online with GSM (GPRS) and 2.5G all day but it's slow as all hell and it's not even worth it. keeps telling me cellular data not available and a weak signal, looks like China Unicom has better 3G than 2G. anyway, whats the point of having such a powerful device if I can't use it. I'll just have to resort to carrying my charger with me all the time (which I've been doing recently and charging 1-2x a day but using as much as I want without worrying about getting home to recharge) Oh well, really hope the next firmware fixes it!!! this is by far my biggest complaint. that and no proper MSN/QQ implementation.
I agree with you that EDGE is slow as hell, compared to turbo 3G.

I'm at that point where i switch to 3g in phone settings if i need heavy usage of internet.

I have wi-fi at home so it dosent bother me much.

I still believe that the biggest battery drainer is when you are on 2.5 and its searching for 3g, i cannot ignore that when i went on road trip before, it drained my battery over twice as fast as on regular usage with 3g activated.

Last edited by mthmob; 2009-12-30 at 07:48.

Originally Posted by mthmob View Post
with that explanation, it makes sence that 3g is a battery drainer.

it would be cool if someone could create a widget/app that automaticly switches between gsm and 3g. F.ex. if you activate data roaming, to surf with microB, it quickly activates 3g before starting the connection, and when you close data roaming connection, it automaticly turns off 3g again, wich saves you the time of going in and turning it off your self.

With this feature, the n900 could be a pioneer in battery savings
100000% with you

i really agree with you guys but i have only a problem with switching dual mode off to gsm only. when i connect to internet by edge i'm not reachable by phone anymore. my friends tell me that i dont have any signal and they cannot reach me on the phone. does anyone know why?
thanks a lot...

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Central NY
Originally Posted by alexbitzu View Post
i really agree with you guys but i have only a problem with switching dual mode off to gsm only. when i connect to internet by edge i'm not reachable by phone anymore. my friends tell me that i dont have any signal and they cannot reach me on the phone. does anyone know why?
thanks a lot...
Probably because your device is doing something on data at the moment and your wireless carrier doesn't handle that properly, so the call doesn't ring through.

My one big gripe about the N900 is always getting "cellular data not available". Happens all the time, and never happened with my other devices (mytouch 3g or blackberry 9700). That and the poor battery life make me think I should return the N900 for something more 'usable'.