Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
(no more schlepping a movie camera around)
Now that made me laugh hard Great composition of *right* answers, thanks! The problem is, however, that people do not really want to know how things work. The price for this is ending up in a silver cage (it's not even golden) with a lower case 'i' in front.

Have a great day,
Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

starman's boss should replace starman as soon as possible with ArnimS then he really will sell phones!

The Following User Says Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
I will be buying Nokia shares. If you lean on mostly US based bloggeratti, you would consider them dead.
Buying Nokia when US based funds undervalue it and selling it when US based funds overvalue it has been solid nice investment strategy. Many small time finnish investors have made decent amount of extra income just by exploiting the fact that american analysts don't seem understand global telecoms market at all.

Best thing is that US investors tend to be allways clueless about Nokia. Guaranteed to overhype Nokia during upswings and dumping it way too low when it's down.

Personally, I'm thinking of placing part of my non-impressive savings on Nokia again. The stock is so undervalued now. Even if Nokia was to lose whole smartphone market, everything else (Nokia Siemens Networks, intellectual property, dumbphones, third world marketshare, brand, etc etc) would be worth more than the current market cap.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Maybe you aren't doing a good job of selling it. Of the top of my head...

* Seamlessly integrate your phone and email and PIM contacts across a wide range of services.
* Keep track of your conversations with people on a per-person basis, instead of one little screen with only SMS messages.
* Browse the web, including flash-sites like youtube, as if you were on your PC
* Take High Definition Video movies (no more schlepping a movie camera around)
* Take High Resolution Pictures (no more schlepping a camera around)
* Find out where you are (no more schlepping a gps device around, save a lot of money on car upgrade)
* Use your existing email service on Yahoo, Gmail.
* Manage your online presence on things like facebook.
* View microshaft office documents that sheeple send you
* View and Edit your local streetmaps (maep, osm2go)
* Download those big files from torrents (transmission)
* Play the computer games you enjoyed from your childhood (emulators)

'About 20 hours of continuous music playback! Like all high-performance phones, the battery life depends entirely on how heavily you use cpu, screen and radio.'

'Yes! Beautiful maps on a high resolution display so you can actually SEE your surrounding area!'

'No, but you can stream whatever you are looking at live over the web.'

'YES!' (show customer portrait mode)

'Unlike other phones, this one uses LINUX, which means most applications are FREE and OPEN SOURCE, meaning you can work directly with the developers to get the features you want!!!!111one'

Nice use of wrong answers to not sell a phone...
hahahaha that was just a quick rundown of what usually happens, I do spend lots of time demoing my phone personally but I was trying to make a simple point.

Most people don't care about what a phone/device is supposed to do, they care about what it does now, and that in my opinion will be Nokia's initial downfall, the N900 out of the box is simply a phone with a nice looking OS...

Just so I can blow my own horn here, my 'sales' are the best in my store.... LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Maybe you aren't doing a good job of selling it. Of the top of my head...

* Seamlessly integrate your phone and email and PIM contacts across a wide range of services.
* Keep track of your conversations with people on a per-person basis, instead of one little screen with only SMS messages.
* Browse the web, including flash-sites like youtube, as if you were on your PC
* Take High Definition Video movies (no more schlepping a movie camera around)
* Take High Resolution Pictures (no more schlepping a camera around)
* Find out where you are (no more schlepping a gps device around, save a lot of money on car upgrade)
* Use your existing email service on Yahoo, Gmail.
* Manage your online presence on things like facebook.
* View microshaft office documents that sheeple send you
* View and Edit your local streetmaps (maep, osm2go)
* Download those big files from torrents (transmission)
* Play the computer games you enjoyed from your childhood (emulators)

'About 20 hours of continuous music playback! Like all high-performance phones, the battery life depends entirely on how heavily you use cpu, screen and radio.'

'Yes! Beautiful maps on a high resolution display so you can actually SEE your surrounding area!'

'No, but you can stream whatever you are looking at live over the web.'

'YES!' (show customer portrait mode)

'Unlike other phones, this one uses LINUX, which means most applications are FREE and OPEN SOURCE, meaning you can work directly with the developers to get the features you want!!!!111one'

Nice use of wrong answers to not sell a phone...
20 hours music playback???

your joking right, i got 4 hours of music on my n900 off a full charge on aeroplane mode the whole time...

the battery is poor...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by starman View Post

your joking right, i got 4 hours of music on my n900 off a full charge on aeroplane mode the whole time...

the battery is poor...
You totally have a problem with your device somewhere. I can play for over 5 hours of *movie* time...

But this is not the topic, is it?

Anyway, I find Nokia to know what they are doing and what people want. The N900 is not for most people, I believe that is not it's market so don't try to sell it as a regular phone. For those they have other phones like the 5800...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You'd be amazed how fast and how much Nokia changes internally...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
'Unlike other phones, this one uses LINUX, which means most applications are FREE and OPEN SOURCE, meaning you can work directly with the developers to get the features you want!
You are sadly mistaken if you think the general public want's to "work with the developers to get the features". I am in the process of working with developers to implement a core financial system linked with other enterprise systems and databases via EAI and ETL tools. I'm paid to do that. When I buy a phone, I either want it to work out of the box or I want to download a finished app to add the feature I want.

I don't care if apps are free, the phone and service plan will add up to $1,000+ over the course of a year so I'm perfectly willing to pay for decent apps. I am far more interested in a polished app that runs well than I am in a free app that needs work. But most of all I want it conveniently available. That is why Apple's app store has become so popular - it's easy.

Nokia - not Maemo.org - needs to populate a Nokia app store for the N900 if it is to be successful beyond the Linux programmer community. Emulating Palm's $1,000,000 to developers would be a start. Writing more apps themselves a la Google would also be good. They can't go on forever just selling potential.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
For Nokia to sell the N900 to the masses, which is what they will want ...
well, the fact is, maemo5 in n900 (unfortunately) is not for the masses.

masses should wait for maemo6.

the battery is poor...
you have definitely some problem there (software/configuration or hardware).

n900 can play a lot longer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyartep For This Useful Post: