Wow.

WOW.

As a java developer, I'm suddenly far more excited by my N900 (which i admit had been pissing me off a bit .

It's slow... but that doesn't matter. This is a desktop java swing app (frostwire) running on my phone. Without any changes.

(though a few bugs... it doesn't seem to take control on the keyboard... so typing anywhere brings up the contact list search!)

I think perhaps ill get jetty running, and write myself a web app to remote control my phone! (send/receive sms... take a picture... get the gps location... wipe the disk... etc)

Fun =)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elliotshepherd For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
how about porting pspkvm to N900?

pspkvm is a JavaME emulator for the PSP.

Link:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/pspkvm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 199 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Concepcion, Chile
psp over javeme over microemulator over javase over maemo ?

Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by rlinfati View Post
psp over javeme over microemulator over javase over maemo ?
O_o???? hmmm???

Has anyone tried out the optimized OpenJDK for ARM on the N900 provided by Cambridge Software Labs (see http://www.camswl.com/openjdk/)? Would be interesting to hear whether it's running and how the performance is. Unfortunately I do not have a N900 yet to test it myself.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modeless For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
rlinfati:

HtheB is suggesting a pspkvm port as a replacement for Microemulator on JavaSE.

pspkvm is itself a port of the PhoneME software. Porting directly from PhoneME to Maemo is probably a better bet, rather than going from pspkvm.

But this is a good idea, actually....

It looks like the current version of PhoneME Feature, MR4, isn't available for Linux/ARM, you'd have to try building it yourself from source.

The only Linux/ARM binaries I could find for this are an MR2 build from 2007, which is really really old (N800 days).

I think someone should try to build the Feature MR4 software from source (or from the source repo) using this guide.

It sure would be "cleaner" to get PhoneME working rather than using Microemulator on top of JavaSE.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by modeless View Post
Has anyone tried out the optimized OpenJDK for ARM on the N900 provided by Cambridge Software Labs (see http://www.camswl.com/openjdk/)? Would be interesting to hear whether it's running and how the performance is. Unfortunately I do not have a N900 yet to test it myself.
I've tested them and they work,
tested it with the tripleA-Client but dont know if there is a performance boost to the embedded Java from sun. need more testing

but one improvement will be the license issue

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olle For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I agree with Olle, the Cambridge binaries work somewhat, but they aren't nearly as polished or complete as the Sun binaries. But that's been my experience with OpenJDK vs. Sun Java on all platforms.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Any chance of a rehost of the microemulator deb? I got the jre and microemu installed myself, but launching it from the command line is a pain. Also do you have a device config that fits the screen properly?

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
You can build your own Shortcut
HowTo is here

€ somewher is explaind where you can hide the stausbar in xTerminal
combined in a script it should work

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olle For This Useful Post: