Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by hawkfanz View Post
I there any way for Maemo Mapper to always have maps face the direction you are driving (the street always on top of your position) like other navigation systems or is this impossible because of the way the maps are downloaded? Thanks!
It is not possible at this time. It may be added later, but it would incur significantly more resource utilization (both memory and CPU). It's not impossible, I'm just not sure it's worth it.

Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
That's fine. EDGE is fast enough to calculate a route, but not fast enough to download full maps on the go.
I must humbly disagree. I use EDGE to download maps on the go quite frequently. It's not _great_, but it's definitely sufficient.

I had trouble today downloading routes for the first time (NJ to NY). Although the route download went OK, the latitude and longitude numbers didn't make sense (ranging from 1 to 4900).
I have been using maemomapper for the last few days without trouble. Thanks,
Howard

I've found that I now have a problem downloading routes using the "download route" within MM. When I click on "ok" after entering an address, MM starts to clear the dialog box (the text and buttons disappear), but then MM hangs.

Route downloading had worked previously.

I've tried clearing/resetting tracks and routes and have rebooted.

I'm using 1.4.4 on a 770.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i am experiencing the same thing. i put in a valid start point (my GPS coords) and a valid destination. i get the standard error of "please make sure you have enteted valid start and end addresses". i have a good connnection to the wireless network, and maps are downloaded correctly, but routes are not working. i noticed this on sunday i think.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
It is not possible at this time. It may be added later, but it would incur significantly more resource utilization (both memory and CPU). It's not impossible, I'm just not sure it's worth it.
I made this same request many moons ago. I can understand that it might require a lot of resources but it might be something to at least look into to know for sure. I find myself physically rotating my 770 just so I know if I need to make a right or left hand turn. Otherwise when you are heading south your mind sees a left hand turn when in reality you need to make a right hand turn. Reading the directional wording is not always an option and flite isn't always easy to hear plus I've had mixed success in using flite.

A simpler option might be just to have an optional flashing or solid arrow right under the direction balloon window that points in the turn direction when you come to waypoint. Might even color code the arrow that starts out as yellow but turns green as you approach your turn. Hard to know if this would be an option without actually trying it out and might be a problem when you have to make a lot of turns in short order. In any case, I attached a sample image of what I'm looking for.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by howardcb View Post
I had trouble today downloading routes for the first time (NJ to NY). Although the route download went OK, the latitude and longitude numbers didn't make sense (ranging from 1 to 4900).
I have been using maemomapper for the last few days without trouble. Thanks,
Howard
I apologize for the inconvenience, but this down-time in the GPX Driving Directions web service was necessary due to a change that Google Maps implemented in their HTML output. I've since fixed the web service, so everything should be working now, but Google's changes were a tad significant, so let me know if anything funny starts happening in resulting routes.

Is it possible to use the latest Maemo Mapper and a kernel that supports high speed (MMC 4.1 ?) memory card access? (on a 770)

http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#mmcplus only seems to have up to 2006.39-14, and according to this thread MM now requires >= 2006.49-2.

Thanks!

I get the following error when I try to download a route: "Error parsing GPX file". This problem just occurred today. The last time I used Maemo Mapper (May 15), I was able to download routes without an error. Stored routes still work OK.

Howard

Originally Posted by howardcb View Post
I get the following error when I try to download a route: "Error parsing GPX file". This problem just occurred today. The last time I used Maemo Mapper (May 15), I was able to download routes without an error. Stored routes still work OK.

Howard

I got that error today also. Maybe the server is down?
neil