Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Central NY
You know my other big issue with this device is that if I reboot it will not automatically connect to the Tmobile data service. I often get "cellular data not available" messages and it won't reconnect on it's own. I really wanted to love this device, but just not sure I can.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I have to say I am noticing an effect as well. On my previous N900 I had it on dual mode, even though I have at&t and no 3g, and I think that it's constantly looking for 3g is draining the battery some. Now on my replacement Im having great life. I also have no widgets other than Omweather set to update once daily, I have google chat setup and active all day, and im browsing heavily all day, refrshing facebook, lurking here, check various webmail accnts and I can go the full 8hrs of work with more than 50 percent life. I also have the wifi set low 10mw , and if I connect to wifi and disconnect I always reboot, not sure if every device has the wifi battery drain bug, but I reboot anyways to avoid this issue at least till the next fw update. Im only on two deep charges with this device too. It gets better after 4 or 5 supposedly. 3g is definitely a drain in my experience.

Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
You know my other big issue with this device is that if I reboot it will not automatically connect to the Tmobile data service. I often get "cellular data not available" messages and it won't reconnect on it's own. I really wanted to love this device, but just not sure I can.
Do you have the search interval set? It wont reconnect for me either unless the search interval is set (this interval applies to non-wifi also)

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Central NY
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Do you have the search interval set? It wont reconnect for me either unless the search interval is set (this interval applies to non-wifi also)
No I didn't. I thought it was to search for WiFi signals in those set times and if found switch to it if checked. Pretty sad that you have to tell it to use the carriers internet. I just turned it on (and only has a 5min option nothing sooner).

Hello again everybody.
I will explain again what's my problem because first time i did't understand anything.
So, i switch my n900 from DUAL to GSM. Now, i have a 2G network.
The problem is: when i connect to internet to get my mail, update my RSS, talking in messenger or navigate on internet the voice part of the phone is off. I mean when someone tries to call me, even he/she is near me, it says that i'm not reachable and i don't have network cover. It's obviously that i have because i'm navigating over the 2G network, but apparently that blocks the voice function or calling function call it as you like.
It's a common problem or it's a setting that i did't manage to find it?
I hope someone can explain me what's going on, and i hope it can be fixed.
Thanks a lot.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Originally Posted by alexbitzu View Post
Hello again everybody.
I will explain again what's my problem because first time i did't understand anything.
So, i switch my n900 from DUAL to GSM. Now, i have a 2G network.
The problem is: when i connect to internet to get my mail, update my RSS, talking in messenger or navigate on internet the voice part of the phone is off. I mean when someone tries to call me, even he/she is near me, it says that i'm not reachable and i don't have network cover. It's obviously that i have because i'm navigating over the 2G network, but apparently that blocks the voice function or calling function call it as you like.
It's a common problem or it's a setting that i did't manage to find it?
I hope someone can explain me what's going on, and i hope it can be fixed.
Thanks a lot.
You aren't the first to complain of this but I'm guessing it depends on the service provider. I use both 2G (GSM) and 3G and the only difference (other than sacrificing speed for battery life) is that when on 2G GPRS i get [I]disconnected[I] whenever I get a call or send an SMS. But I havent had any trouble with people NOT being able to call me. soooooo, maybe its the provider's settings?

For me its random most times data disconnects and the call comes through. I'd say about 10 percent of the time I don't get disconnected and people get my voice mail. It is slightly annoying.

Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
For me its random most times data disconnects and the call comes through. I'd say about 10 percent of the time I don't get disconnected and people get my voice mail. It is slightly annoying.
mmmm well thats no good. perhaps I also am experiencing about 10 percent but my callers havent told me yet...

ok guys i may have stumbled into a big discovery here. i just realized that the GPRS Monitor widget has a setting for update. mine was on "every 5 sec"!!! i made it "when switching desktops" and will see if that helps any.....
ps - using 2G is definitely helping loads.

Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
ok guys i may have stumbled into a big discovery here. i just realized that the GPRS Monitor widget has a setting for update. mine was on "every 5 sec"!!! i made it "when switching desktops" and will see if that helps any.....
ps - using 2G is definitely helping loads.
What do you mean by "...and will see if that helps any....."?
In what problem will help?
Thanks...