ok, i have updated and it feels to me that the sliding to unlock is much much faster. it does not get choppy as it use to. thats the only thing i actually noticed in 10 minutes of update.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phuongymy For This Useful Post:
noobmonkey i sorry but im stupid when you say search the rootfs what do i need to do

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by boybunny View Post
i might of asked the wrong thing someone said to search for rootfs as this could be why i cant install the firmware
Okay, in that case what you're needing to do is delete some of the stuff from your rootfs (rather than delete the whole thing). The first thing to try is rebooting (there's a bug which prevents temporary files from being properly cleared up after installing apps), the next is disabling the extras-devel and extras-testing repositories (temporarily - you can re-enable them again after updating).

If this still doesn't give you enough free space then you need to uninstall some of the apps you've installed from extras-devel - searching the forums here for rootfs should point you to several threads which should include details on which apps are the worst for taking up space on the rootfs.

Updated here in Texas USA...... OTA! No problem a little responsive.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
is it poss to delete the rootfs
Yes. However it'll render your device useless, so don't.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
i might of asked the wrong thing someone said to search for rootfs as this could be why i cant install the firmware
Twas me, as that is a common problem for not having enough space. If you had found the rootfs thread then there are solutions to the problems.

Some of the threads can be found here and here

I must add - this was a guess on my behalf - as i'm not sure if it is full - if you have conky installed you can see how much space is left in your rootfs.

The device has a limited space available for applications, which is why people keep asking are they optified. If they are, they use up less space in the sacred rootfs area.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
noobmonkey i sorry but im stupid when you say search the rootfs what do i need to do
I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious here, but from the context and the way you ask it there could be a misunderstanding about the term "rootfs".

It means "root file system" - if you're used to Windows, from a user perspective it's a bit like drive C: (OK, everyone else, I know this is plain wrong from a technical point of view, but it gets the point across, doesn't it ...)

So it's not something you want to delete (you don't delete C: ...), it's something you want to delete things from to make space available again.

To make space available, uninstall applications you got from extras-devel and extras-testing. Many of those are in early stages of development and use much more space on the root file system than they should.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I think I saw this update as early as last week sometime. I had a yellow exclamation mark in my status window, but I was in the middle of shutting down to swap SIMs, and fat fingered the update screen closed.

I had seen the blue square next to "Maemo 5" listed with all the other "available apps" to install, but I thought it was something dealing w/a sysem restore, or something "above my pay grade of understanding".

I had been manually hitting update, since the OP started the thread (I have the 5th post or so) but never saw an alert (in USA). I checked what was "available now" and there it was.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I was surprisingly out of space (I try to avoid apps that aren't optified). Getting rid of some apps that use QT4 helped, got me to 17 MB free. I then rebooted which got me to 70 MB free. Now I'm happily updating

EDIT: No further free space available after update. I wonder if the person who reported that saw it just because of the reboot and not the update. It reset my theme from the orange one to the blue one. No other changes in settings noticed right away, including TV Out settings.

Last edited by epage; 2010-01-11 at 12:57.

was it like before the update???? could see windoze media player shares over the network???

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Osilayer For This Useful Post:

Tags
firmware, firmware update, minor update, n900, ota, pr1.0.1, ssu, update