Active Topics

Notices

Hello Folks! last time my N900 got shot cus i instlled some software from extra devel & it corrupted my memory card, so I got it replaced wiht a new one.
Now I hear from everyone that there are lots of usefull apps on extra devel, but im scared to add that rep to my dwnld catlg.

So>>
Can we all post the working & in use apps by all of us from etra devel, so that myself and other can downld & use them wihtout corrupting our memory cards. What do you think??

When a developer feels that an application is fit for others to use, they will promote it. If you can't fix it yourself when you break it, and have to return it to the shop, then you need to steer clear of extras-devel.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
No one can assure you that an app in devel is "working", that's simply why they are in devel. If you don't want to take the risk with devel, then wait until it's at least in extras, or maybe testing.

You should see the move from devel to another repository as a confirmation that they work, not by the answers in this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Razumichin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
the thing is though, that apps in extras-devel evolve at a rapid pace, so there's really no telling what programs are safe and whatg are not. Very recently a pile of phones were bricked by a popular extras-devel update that had a bug.
And now tmo wis full of people having trouble with updating to PR1.0.1 because they installed extras-devel apps.

If you want to be safe, don't use extras-devel or -testing, if you want to do it anyway, make backups, and when things go bad in a way that is above your skills, first search thoroughly for a solution in wiki, talk and such, if it fails, politely ask for help, and don't blame others for your problems. (Notifying the developer of a catastrophic bug is naturally recommended)
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
thanx guys..