hey there, I'm very curious about the 2007 hacker edition OS for The nokia 770, before I reflash everything i was just wondering if I could ask a couple of questions?

1. Will the upgrade allow me to play Kdice at www.kdice.com? I've become alarmingly addicted to this game.

*edit * The site seems to be down, but dicewars is a pretty similar non-multiplayer version (http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/dice/dice.html) If it does run, is the screen too small and fiddly to play peoperly??

2. Will the upgrade allow me to play battle for wesnoth on my 770? This is all the offline gaming I need at the moment and I think it would be perfect for long bus journeys.

Oh actually...

3. Is the video player the same as the 770? I heard that the 800 had some issues with videos and stuff, and if I have already converted movies for the 770 will they play on OS 2007?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sevenape; 2007-05-01 at 07:07.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I tried OS2007on770; although I didnt run any of the application you mention, I can give you my experiences as follows:
First I was really impressed; OS2007 is better than OS2006, and - all in all - it runs fine.

There are some drawbacks, though, that made me re-flash with OS2006:
  • The device reboots very often, especially when brwosing with opera
  • Video playback has rough edges, you get unexpected results when pausing or switching to/from fullscreen mode
  • I wasnt able to make voice calls to N800-users (which works in OS2006)
  • You have to manually change the configuration in order to get internet radio working

Especially the reboots were very annoying and finally made me revert to OS2006. I still believe that the Hacker Edition has great potential and I will sure try the next release.

Last edited by benny1967; 2007-05-03 at 07:40.

thanks for the reply! I think i'll look into it, but as i use my tablet most for watching episodes of tv shows on the train, maybe i'll stick with 2006 for now, although the thought of playing wesnoth instead was making me very excited indeed! definitley interested in seeing what it has to offer though

I recommend you try it out. I have it installed on mine and use it every day. Opera would crash sometimes but thats due to the updated flash plugin. Disabling that, I have no problems. You get extra features too like the automatic connection to approved wifi in standby mode. I have watched a few videos on mine, just LOST re-encoded for Mplayer and it works great. The only problem for me is that I can't seem to get Maemo Mapper re-installed.

For a newby like me with no Linux knowledge, I think I'll stick to OS2006 for now and wait (hope) for the improved OS2007 hacker edition to be (unofficially) approved by Nokia. Then I can only hope I can flash the 770 in the same way it flashes for official upgrades.

I did install it once and it was very easy to do, but I uninstalled it without even playing around with it cos I got the heeby jeebys as I'm no Linux man myself!

you don't need to be a linux geek.
i installed it and used every day. It looks a lot niftier and runs smoother than os2006

The Following User Says Thank You to rachid For This Useful Post:
right! I'll reinstall after the weekend and have a play with it! Thanks!