Originally Posted by jahaugum View Post
Tutorial: Make sure you have PR1.1 firmware. Press ctrl-shift-o . Then close your keyboard. Rotate your device into portrait, and then the browser should rotate into portrait mode too.

Still not working?
Yep. Still not working! Tried everything, restoring factory settings, rebooting etc. but I'm unable to activate portrait mode...nice. Well, I don't actually need the feature but it would be nice to have that anyway since it's available.

EDIT: Got it working, had to uninstall libqflow...it did something wicked -> killed the accelometer (I tested it with Bounce and I couldn't do anything, ball just went its own course)

Last edited by rokmystage; 2010-01-14 at 12:29.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
I fail to see how a half implemented functional change can be called an easter egg.

That said perhaps I'll use that approach on the software systems I deliver in future. Turn every failed delivery into an 'unexpected bonus' for the users.

(FTR I couldn't give too hoots about portrait mode browsing - I'm just saying).
imo it is better this way. those who want will get a sneek preview for browser portrait mode if they insist. and in the end everybody will have full portrait mode "out of the box". so you have a feature that isn't complete but still usable at least as an technology demo, why not to put it as an easter egg?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
imo it is better this way. those who want will get a sneek preview for browser portrait mode if they insist. and in the end everybody will have full portrait mode "out of the box". so you have a feature that isn't complete but still usable at least as an technology demo, why not to put it as an easter egg?
My point was that it's not an easter egg. Looking for a good definition of an easter egg I found this on http://www.eeggs.com/faq.html#definition

A true Easter Egg must satisfy the following criteria:

1. Undocumented, Hidden, and Non-Obvious
An Easter Egg can't be a legitimate feature of a product, or be an obvious part of a storyline. Easter Eggs will usually stand out either because they totally don't fit with their context (like a pinball game in a word processor), or because they have a deeper hidden personal meaning to the creators, so they threw it in for entertainment.

Browsing in portrait mode is a legitimate functional piece of the browser completely within context of the use of the browser.

Just because they released functionality before they finished iti doesn't make it an easter egg in my book.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
My point was that it's not an easter egg. Looking for a good definition of an easter egg I found this on http://www.eeggs.com/faq.html#definition

A true Easter Egg must satisfy the following criteria:

1. Undocumented, Hidden, and Non-Obvious
An Easter Egg can't be a legitimate feature of a product, or be an obvious part of a storyline. Easter Eggs will usually stand out either because they totally don't fit with their context (like a pinball game in a word processor), or because they have a deeper hidden personal meaning to the creators, so they threw it in for entertainment.

Browsing in portrait mode is a legitimate functional piece of the browser completely within context of the use of the browser.

Just because they released functionality before they finished iti doesn't make it an easter egg in my book.
lol....

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Hmm keep hitting CTRL+Shift (the far left key on the bottom row) + O key and nothing happens.

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Hmm keep hitting CTRL+Shift (the far left key on the bottom row) + O key and nothing happens.
Thats because it only goes portrait AFTER you rotate the phone.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Yeah only browser!!! we want the whole UI portrait mode!!
I don't

(Extra text for length)
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

I had to reboot the phone after updating for it to start working.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "N900 Update! Portrait Mode (Browser Only)" with seventeen posts has been merged into this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The thread "N900 Update! Portrait Mode (Browser Only)" with seventeen posts has been merged into this thread.
Thanks. That thread had a better title than this one - can this one be changed to "Browser experimental portrait mode in PR1.1" or similar?

Tags
easter egg, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, maemo browser, microb, portrait, portrait mode, portrait mode browsing, portraitudinal, pr1.1, web browser