Active Topics

Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Its still incredibly slow to bootup = ie unusable, as is the GPS poor = unusable. Why wont Nokia understand SPEED is king in a phone/mobile device. Finally a Nokia device with a decent CPU - slow apps like this shouldnt be released.
Have you tried changing location server to supl.google.com. It seems to work very fast in USA for GPS lock

The Following User Says Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
seems fine, scrolling seems smoother after this update.

Originally Posted by ralnaghi View Post
i exported them in a folder, and then select all and send via bluetooth, there's no option to export to a file...

Please help if there's a way to export to a file. Thx.
You can do it that way (select all), but you first start by starting with the car's BT device, and initiating a contacts "import", then open Petrovich and "send"/"send all".

As far as consolidating "all contacts" into "one file", there are a few different ways.

Easiest, or more commonly used method, is thru "Outlook", export contacts to a *.csv file, then import *.csv file into something like Gmail, which will take that file and add it to its contacts. From there, you can export to a "vCard" (*.vcf) file."

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by messus View Post
Laugh all you want!!

F#¤"!"ing stupid with no portrait mode on a smartphone unit !!

Preparing my N900 for sale.. And by reading this forum it is pretty obvious I am not alone about this portrait issue!!

Thanks for your reply, I guess it may be difficult to get something from any official source about this..
Great. Now quit your whining and sell me your "smartphone unit".

I hate to see you go, but......... Sorry that's a lie. Adios!!

Not sure if this has been said, but i noticed after the update that making a skype call now shows the amount of money left on your account. Was that always there? cause i just noticed it. However skype calls arent working as smoothly as before. Well for me atleast. Tried over wifi and t mobile 3g. And calls are breaking in and out. But i was using my bluetooth. So ill try again later without BT on.

How am I supposed to type and answer messages with one hand operation on this unit without portrait mode and virtual portrait keyboard??

Eg. I cant answer an sms while driving a car with this unit (and do not tell me I should not type messages while driving, that is MY choice!).. There are MANY other situations as well..
Apart from being unbelievably stupid it is illegal throughout the UK, and in case of an accident if found giulty of dangerous driving a 2 year prison sentence (death by dangerous driving is up to 14 years). So saying it's your choice is like saying murdering someone is your choice. Maemo doesn't need cretins like you, feel free to go to android, although you sound more suited to an iphone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moley For This Useful Post:
couple of things i noticed are

potrait mode available for browser
email: nokia messaging no longer buggy or halts. works like a charm now
overall speed improvement, snappier, opens apps quickly
media player widget used to hang, that too is working beautifully.

biggest improvement is speed, very very quick response. its how n900 shouldve been

The Following User Says Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
The update basically worked. But now something with the nameserver is broken. My resolv.conf is empty and i can't resolve names although i do have basic ip connectivity. Need to investigate this ...

I'll keep documenting this here, just in case someone runs into the same issues. I have tracked this down to the point that udhcpc creates a resolv.conf in /tmp/resolv.conf.wlan0 whereas dnsmasq expects this file to be in /var/run. Copying the file manually fixes the problem.

Does anyone here know how the file is to be put into /var/run ? The first few lines of the file responsible for this look like this in my machine:

Code:
Nokia-N900-42-11:/etc/udhcpc# more /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script
#!/bin/sh
# udhcpc script to use with OSSO ICd

RESOLV_CONF="/tmp/resolv.conf.$interface"
Is this file broken on my machine? Should this really read /tmp in that RESOLV_CONF line? Can someone confirm this?
Uninstall vpnc, put "nameserver 127.0.0.1" into /etc/resolv.conf and install vpnc again.

Or put that line also in /etc/vpnc/resolv.conf-backup

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Preparing my N900 for sale.. And by reading this forum it is pretty obvious I am not alone about this portrait issue!!
Does that mean you will stop posting on this board? We will all miss you.

anyone see improvement over battery life? I havw been using this device for about 4 hours now non stop (lol yes nonstop) and I got 1/2 bar left. here what i've been running:

8 windows: 2 web, 1 music playing through speaker nonstop at max volume, 1 app manager been installing apps here and there including the new firmware, 4 conversation texting moderately. also im continously using 3g and bluetooth is enabled.

Tags
goodbye, sad sadavyk and messus