Active Topics

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Looks a bit big in the video. Im guessing battery will be a major issue for this thing, intel tends to have power guzzleing processors.

Microsoft's Windows Mobile crew must be a little worried about this...especially if MIDINUX winds up in cell phones looking like this.
Same with Symbian's S60 folks.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Okay. I'm in two minds about this thing: It looks plenty fast, but I can't see any compelling features that would make me ditch my N800. The interface is the usual confusing mix of pen/finger and WIMP, which (as we all should know by now) is not a Good Thing <TM>.

As far as I could see, the text input is restricted to yet another virtual keyboard (crap!), or else the HWR is so bad the video wouldn't show it.

The browser is better than Opera on the N800 (anything is better than Opera on the N800!), but if the final product is going to be as big as this one and have the battery life everyone here suspects it will have, I'll take the Opera shite and the extra few hours of battery, thankyerverymuch.

And gestures... What can I say? I tried a few similar proggies on my (Windows) tablet and ended up ditching them, because it's just too much trouble for what it's worth. YMMV of course, but I couldnt live with the constant misinterpretations and I suspect (as the video seems to allude to) that this one isn't much better.

Finally: This thing is huge! Where in Bog's name am I going to put it? Th N800 fits in most of my pockets without much of a bulge, but this baby needs a stroller to get around.

One good thing may come of this: This might finally shake the Nokia pinheads into gear to get the Hildon platform sorted out. Well, we live in hope anyway...

wow. it's ugly and big. intel has no design culture. they're engineers and should stay focussed on the hardware, not product or interface design. this may end badly for them.

Intel is about big and powerful. They won't know how to do a small, underpowered but energy-savvy device that compares to the tablets.

Intel announced five vendors for their "Ultra Mobile Platform 2007" at IDF: Aigo, Asus, Haier, HTC, and Samsung. Samsung and HTC are known products, and are UMPC's, i.e. they use the A110 cpu and run Windows Vista (and both have actual keyboards or keypads). I have not seen much about the others. Even the MID's, will be bigger than the N800. They will use the slower A100 cpu, will be smaller than UMPC's and will run MIDINUX. All of these will be released this summer. Some may have real keyboards.

So far as I can tell, even the UMPC's will be able to run MIDINUX (since they all use essentially the same parts), but I don't know if Samsung and HTC will pre-install MIDINUX.

There have been photo's of 2008 devices, which are much closer in power use and form factor to the N800. See VIDEO: Menlow based UMPC and working prototype of a UMPC from umpcportal.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The A110/A100 CPUs are based on Pentium M technology fabricated at 90nm and dissipate on average 3W (mainly due to a 400Mhz FSB and the core running at such a compratively slow 800Mhz clock speed) - the average 3W power dissipation isn't good for an ultra mobile device, necessitating a large-ish battery.

Silverthorne - the 45nm CPU System-on-a-chip due mid 2008 - should significantly reduce average power dissipation but I'm still not sure it will reach down to current ARM levels so even devices based on this CPU may require a hefty battery. An ARM device with the same battery would almost certainly last much longer.

At least we'll have the choice come 2008 - lightweight/low workloads (ARM) or heavy and powerful (x86) And maybe the OMAP3 CPUs will help tip the size/performance scales back in Nokias favour, assuming that Nokia utilise all the hardware available in the TI chips (2D/3D acceleration, video encode/decode hardware) rather than ignore it.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Perth, Australia
Ugly or not, guaranteed this device will be available worldwide in 2008. Nokia *still* have no plans to distribute the N800 outside North America and Europe. Yes, I can buy one over the Net, but if it fails my warranty will be next to useless. For the time being, my trusty Newton 2000 still does the job :-)

Last edited by lavo; 2007-05-07 at 02:14. Reason: Speelink mistaks

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Agreed, ignoring the Asia Pacific region does seem incredibly short sighted given that China alone is a vast potential market. Perhaps the situation will change with the N900 or OS 2008 (whichever comes first) but Intel are leading the way here - it's no surprise they went with a Chinese Linux distro developer, not only will they be cheaper than Western counterparts but they can also ensure support for the various Chinese and similar languages.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Agreed, ignoring the Asia Pacific region does seem incredibly short sighted given that China alone is a vast potential market. Perhaps the situation will change with the N900 or OS 2008 (whichever comes first) but Intel are leading the way here - it's no surprise they went with a Chinese Linux distro developer, not only will they be cheaper than Western counterparts but they can also ensure support for the various Chinese and similar languages.
Doesn't China require WiFi to incorporate their homegrown, proprietary encryption scheme called WAPI?
This may be stifling the entire Asian market until that is settled, I would think.