Active Topics

Hi all:
I just got a N800 and I have quite a few questions. I had the fm radio applet installed but then I installed the software update and it took it out. I was told I had to resinstall it. I do not have access to wifi from home, can I download the application to my laptop and transfer it to the n800 via the USB cable? Also, where can I download games for the n800 and once I download the game how do I find and install them. Can I also download games to my laptop and transfer to the N800? Finally, someone told me I could use my laptop to connect the n800 to the internet via bluetooth. Is that true. I downloaded a mrouter that I thought would help me do that but I could not get it to work.

about your game question....

you can add 'repositories' to your application manager....basically what that means is that when you add these repositories(basically a remote folder stored someplace in the internet), in your application manager, you can see what you can install on your n800. when you see something you like, just press install and bam, you got yourself some new software.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Originally Posted by KSalmon74 View Post
Hi all:
I just got a N800 and I have quite a few questions. I had the fm radio applet installed but then I installed the software update and it took it out. I was told I had to resinstall it. I do not have access to wifi from home, can I download the application to my laptop and transfer it to the n800 via the USB cable? Also, where can I download games for the n800 and once I download the game how do I find and install them. Can I also download games to my laptop and transfer to the N800? Finally, someone told me I could use my laptop to connect the n800 to the internet via bluetooth. Is that true. I downloaded a mrouter that I thought would help me do that but I could not get it to work.
You can install apps without internet access. Go to maemo.org and find the application in the downloads section. Then click on the project homepage. Download the file and copy to your SD card along with any dependencies. Then navigate to the folder on the n800 and tap on the install files. Again for games have a look at maemo.org.

I imagine you could connect the N800 to the internet through a PC bluetooth connection, however I am unsure of how to do this - best advice is to search on google.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Does your laptop have a WiFi card? If so, you should be able to share your Internet connection to your N800 using that. I don't know any details though, as I've never done it.

If you're stuck with Bluetooth, you might try Googling for information on how to connect a Palm to the Internet via a PC's Bluetooth connection. The PC side of the setup is likely similar.

re: minimo Went to the firefox page which directed me to Doug Turner site also showed version 9. I'm not sure which one to install. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/FAQ.html#q1.3

Thanks

The simplest way is probably to copy the .deb to an SD card using a card reader.

As for wi-fi between laptop and N800, I do that. But instead of figuring out how to do a direct Ad-hoc connection between the two, I simply connect both (laptop and N800) to my local wi-fi router, then I use either 'ifconfig' in osso-xterm or the third-party program WifiInfo to figure out what the IP address of the N800 is. Then I can connect with ssh (as I have dropbear installed on the N800).

Copying files to the N800 through SSH: If you have the openssh server installed on the N800 then I think you also have scp support, ie. just use

'scp filename root@xxx.yyy.zzz.vvv:/media/mmc1/.'

to copy to your N800, where xxx.yyy.. is its IP address.
But as I use dropbear I don't have scp support, the following workaround works fine though (from a unix/linux laptop with proper command line):

tar cf - filename | ssh root@xxx.yyy.zzz.vvv "(cd /media/mmc1 && tar xvf -)"

(with quotes and all, but the parentheses aren't strictly needed - I use them anyway, they start a separate shell on the N800 to execute those two commands. And use mmc2 to write to the internal instead of the external SD card.)

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-05-11 at 13:59.

re:minimo

I seem to get the reverse of what I need. I go to tools-application manager and then confused. I found in the help section the explanation but I need a tutor
So how then do I get to app manager-tools and then catalog.To those who have submitted prior suggestion I thank you, but now the reality as you can tell is that I'm not computer savvy.But I could program a VCR.

TIA
Jerry

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
After Tools and Application Manager, click the downward-pointing triangle at the top left of the window. Then one of the choices you see is Tools. You will see Application catalog as one of the choices there, but you might look at the other options there, too -- they can come in handy.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Thanks Geneven I found it.Life has new meaning.

Jerry