Closed Thread
Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
id be willin to setup a basic sandbox server that ppl could use to try diff compilations if anyone would be interested

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
I'm using kernel 2.6.28 from the maemo kernel source. I started with that one because I knew it would boot and I could patch in some of the android changes based on the work on nitdroid. I suppose since its prior to 2.6.30-rc8, its using the old code. I looked into getting the most recent linux omap dss2 drivers from gitorious but I wanted to see if there was a way to patch this easily before going down that path.
I think being able to boot from an android system living natively on an sdcard would be ideal. How exactly does one select the system to load? Is it tough to install some sort of bootloader?

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
I think being able to boot from an android system living natively on an sdcard would be ideal. How exactly does one select the system to load? Is it tough to install some sort of bootloader?
There is a program that lets you choose if you boot the n900 with the keyboard out. Here is the link http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=22

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

bdogg thanks for the updates. I hope you make some more progress I'm assuming that just because you would have it running on the 900 does not mean it will be similar to getting it working on the 810?

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
There is a program that lets you choose if you boot the n900 with the keyboard out. Here is the link http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=22
That is perfect. How easy would that be!?!?! Now, to get android working...

Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
Are you still working with the deprecated 2.6.30-rc8 code or is this with current stuff (new omapfb, etc)?
I couldn't get newer kernels to come up on N810 (varied between framebuffer bringup issues after the n8x0-board refactor, SD/MMC driver issues, and obscure locking issues regarding the clock/watchdog/bringup) so I just used the commit in that blog post I linked.

It looks like with things like http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...4aad7100ca03f0 someone is paying attention - I might pursue this again if I can get a recent kernel to boot right. The key is finding something new enough for the Android patches (PMEM, wakelock, etc.) to apply to without a complete rewrite while not finding something so new that everyone's rewritten everything again - kernel development moves way too fast these days since there is no development branch.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bri3d For This Useful Post:
Good news. Android (Donut) boots on the n900! The touchscreen isn't working correctly though. Wherever I press the screen it thinks I'm bringing down the window shade. And I need to update the keyboard layout files, but it works using bootmenu!

I used the rowboat build of android because the stock source build from android crashes when booting.

More details later :-)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bdogg64 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
but it works using bootmenu!
Wait, you were able to dual-boot with android??!?

I thought this was only possible with kexec, which wasn't fully functional yet
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
it works using bootmenu!

Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Wait, you were able to dual-boot with android??!?

I thought this was only possible with kexec, which wasn't fully functional yet
Yea, I can still boot into maemo 5,. I'm using the maemo kernel with the android drivers patched in. If I can get the touchscreen working right, then I can do some more damage. The stock build from the android source code crashes when it tries to bring up the UI, but the rowboat build works. Rowboat is built for omap3 devices though.

I would prefer to use the stock android source, but rowboat works for now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdogg64 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread