Active Topics

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
i just noticed that if i go to settings > location and turn off network positioning i can get lock almost instantly without any of the data connections active.
this looks like bug where n900 without data connection will try to use network positioning and refuse to use just normal gps module.
what should happen is that gsp software checks for data connections if there is no working data connections at the time it should drop it and move on to gps only.
other odd thing is that once you get a lock you can turn off ovi maps go change settings back to normal (so both options in locations are turned on) and when you start ovi maps again without active data connection you will get lock very quickly again, even after reboot i got lock in off line mode, so no cellular, utms, or wifi to get any extra possitioning info just gps

in short, go to settings > location and turn off network positioning and try ovi maps again with no data connection active.
ovi maps will still ask for connection (to download maps) so make sure you have already maps for area you are in while doing this test.

its almost 5am here so maybe someone else try to test this and then submit a bug because i'm off to bed

btw, you have to be outdoors or near window for this to work.

Originally Posted by Khiron View Post
5 minutes to lock signal? That's extreme.

My N900 has the exact same problem, but my N91 locks the signal in about 15-20 seconds, so that's not "standard" for phones at all, and my N91 doesn't have any internet at all, it doesn't even have a SIM card.

I suspect there's something worse going on, this cannot be normal, but then again, I had the luck of getting one that has the constant restarts issues.

Can anyone else confirm that this is normal for the N900?
the restart is not normal. get it checked. maps.... well we all have the same issues. other phones lock a signal while they're ofline in ten secs and we sit like idiots with expensive phones

please vote for this bug : https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026 and if possible test with location test gui ...

i am frustrated with this gps problem too

Originally Posted by Croc View Post
i just noticed that if i go to settings > location and turn off network positioning i can get lock almost instantly without any of the data connections active.
this looks like bug where n900 without data connection will try to use network positioning and refuse to use just normal gps module.
what should happen is that gsp software checks for data connections if there is no working data connections at the time it should drop it and move on to gps only.
other odd thing is that once you get a lock you can turn off ovi maps go change settings back to normal (so both options in locations are turned on) and when you start ovi maps again without active data connection you will get lock very quickly again, even after reboot i got lock in off line mode, so no cellular, utms, or wifi to get any extra possitioning info just gps

in short, go to settings > location and turn off network positioning and try ovi maps again with no data connection active.
ovi maps will still ask for connection (to download maps) so make sure you have already maps for area you are in while doing this test.

its almost 5am here so maybe someone else try to test this and then submit a bug because i'm off to bed

btw, you have to be outdoors or near window for this to work.

wow... gr8 tip and it works. took me 3min to get a gps signal but it works. wat about voice navigation??? i used to b able to purchase it with my previouse E52. can we buy it with the N900?

Originally Posted by smps View Post
please vote for this bug : https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026 and if possible test with location test gui ...

i am frustrated with this gps problem too
have u tried disabling ur web connection from ur location settings ?

Originally Posted by kafates View Post
have u tried disabling ur web connection from ur location settings ?
yes i did , i am testing this two days now with various settings and was testing today too (outside tests with car on highway)

Originally Posted by Croc View Post
i think it's due to the fact that it caches your last position. i don't remember where the cache file was located, it was discussed here on the forum. after deleting it, try to get a fix with a-gps disabled - you shouldn't be able to get a fix (provided you have a device that suffers from this problem, as not all seem to be affected)

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Darlington, UK
Just tried dis-abling th A-gps. GPS failed in ovi maps and the location function disappears from theFront icon bar.

Will try location test when I can get to it.

What I do to get a gps lock is run ecoach first. After getting a sat lock I run ovi maps. On a cloudy day it takes me about 5 minutes to get a lock this way. This is using only the built in gps.

I keep ecoach running in the background even after getting a lock to maintain sat lock.

The Following User Says Thank You to Death Scythe For This Useful Post:
I've tried every suggestion mentioned, still no signal at all.

sigh ...

Is there any way to actually see if the phone is getting ANY signal at all? On my N95 I can simply goto a sort of "app" that shows me the signal received from the GPS satellites, and how strong they are. So far, I haven't seen any equivalent on the N900.

This is so so frustrating, I'm already considering returning the phone

Last edited by Khiron; 2010-01-17 at 04:09.

Tags
lack of quality control