generally speaking, anywhere above 90% and the n900 shows green. also the last bit (i.e. last 10%) doesn't charge as fast the first 90% this is to ensure that the battery isn't overcharged (i forgot the official name of this method).

also, wall charger charges faster than USB as i believe the phone is able to draw higher current from it.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Does anybody's N900 get warm when charging through usb on a computer? Mine does a little. But not when it's charging from a wall outlet.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
It's perfectly natural to warm a little while charging, that's how LiIon batteries behave.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Lausanne, CH
I find it curious that the N900 will not charge beyond 90%, my laptop has no problems pushing both batteries all the way to 100%.

You can check the state of your battery by running
Code:
lshal -u /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/bme
in your xterm.

After charging (till LED shows green) I get:

udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/bme'
battery.charge_level.capacity_state = 'full' (string)
battery.charge_level.current = 8 (0x8) (int)
battery.charge_level.design = 8 (0x8) (int)
battery.charge_level.last_full = 8 (0x8) (int)
battery.charge_level.percentage = 87 (0x57) (int)
battery.charge_level.unit = 'bars' (string)
battery.is_rechargeable = true (bool)
battery.present = true (bool)
battery.rechargeable.is_charging = false (bool)
battery.rechargeable.is_discharging = true (bool)
battery.remaining_time = 18000 (0x4650) (int)
battery.remaining_time.calculate_per_time = false (bool)
battery.reporting.current = 1099 (0x44b) (int)
battery.reporting.design = 1256 (0x4e8) (int)
battery.reporting.last_full = 1120 (0x460) (int)
battery.reporting.unit = 'mAh' (string)
battery.type = 'pda' (string)
battery.voltage.current = 4041 (0xfc9) (int)
battery.voltage.design = 4200 (0x1068) (int)
battery.voltage.unit = 'mV' (string)
info.addons = {'hald-addon-bme'} (string list)
info.capabilities = {'battery'} (string list)
info.category = 'battery' (string)
info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer' (string)
info.product = 'Battery (BME-HAL)' (string)
info.subsystem = 'unknown' (string)
info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/bme' (string)
maemo.charger.connection_status = 'disconnected' (string)
maemo.charger.type = 'none' (string)
maemo.rechargeable.charging_status = 'off' (string)
, so with only 87% charge level the battery reports full! Somehow that doesn't seem right...

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Czerwionka, Poland
For me it seems that N900 reports battery charge level relative to original design capacity and not current capacity. Battery capacity is decreasing over time (battery used or not) and I think that even in new devices it's not 100%. Maybe that's the reason why battery level indicator shows 100% even if lshal show only 80%. Indicator is calibarated to prevent user complaints (my battery doesn't charge to 100%!).

Nevertheless, I agree that 87% is low. In my 1 year old laptop, Ubuntu reports capacity at 90% (AFAIK it was about 95% when it was new).

my battery general charge to about 95-98%

and on the n900, even when it's something like 60% the battery bar still shows like 4/5th full... generally speaking it'll show completely full until something like 70%

don't trust the battery bar, it's inaccurate like on most nokia phones...

dont know if this helps or hinders the conversation but:
I too was noticing a reasonably high drain after the 1.1 update, but I had also installed a new widget (Facebook) on the desktop and recently had firefox installed too.

In standby mode overnight, I had no connectivity other than 2g mobile, so effectively no internet but maybe some apps (facebook) and IM/SIP polling for connectivety....

In anycase, before update this was not really a problem, but now i was losing 1/4 battery overnight doing nothing.

I have since removed Firefox and runtimes, Facebook from desktop and went offline from IM and SIP accounts plus set the phone to offline overnight

results, still full battery when I awoke this morn.

I will now start to 'turn on' one thing at a time to try to identify the culprit(s). Could be the IM/SIP polling ???????

Originally Posted by janszoon View Post
dont know if this helps or hinders the conversation but:
I too was noticing a reasonably high drain after the 1.1 update, but I had also installed a new widget (Facebook) on the desktop and recently had firefox installed too.

In standby mode overnight, I had no connectivity other than 2g mobile, so effectively no internet but maybe some apps (facebook) and IM/SIP polling for connectivety....

In anycase, before update this was not really a problem, but now i was losing 1/4 battery overnight doing nothing.

I have since removed Firefox and runtimes, Facebook from desktop and went offline from IM and SIP accounts plus set the phone to offline overnight

results, still full battery when I awoke this morn.

I will now start to 'turn on' one thing at a time to try to identify the culprit(s). Could be the IM/SIP polling ???????
It was probably Firefox. Start with that!

In my case it looks like the Calendar app that seems to be draining the battery. After rebooting up the phone a few minutes later the calendar app is running in the background. There are no widgets on the desktop and I am not using any wifi. Does anyone know how to stop this? I have not activated the calendar app at all.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by proff View Post
In my case it looks like the Calendar app that seems to be draining the battery. After rebooting up the phone a few minutes later the calendar app is running in the background. There are no widgets on the desktop and I am not using any wifi. Does anyone know how to stop this? I have not activated the calendar app at all.
Let itgo through it's boot/load sequence...i.e wait 5 minutes then do top commnad again...it may hav just had pritoirty at theat moment while loading in...then settles back to very little?