It seems everything is "Milestone: Harmattan"

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Ovek View Post
It seems everything is "Milestone: Harmattan"
Get used to it. Us Diablo users starting seeing it like that some 7 months into OS 2008, then from 13 months on... absolutely nothing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Deserting their highest end Nokia phone in their one of biggest announcement of this year...

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by Jaco2k View Post
I am VERY unimpressed by these news and since I am still in my initial 14 day trial, I think this is going back to base to be replaced with another option from the competition.
First, I fully agree that the Ovi Maps isn't (ahem) very good at the moment. But that's not the entire story.

First take a look at http://wiki.maemo.org/Navigation_Tools. You'll find some of the tools support the route generation that I suspect you're wanting.

Also try out Maep, a nice port of a Google maps viewer with very fast startup. I think it's only in Extras-testing, so you'll need to enable that repository (http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Seriously guys.

Did you guys ever on ANY phone get a free next version of a preinstalled payware unless it was preannounced before you bought it?

I don't think it's that common. Ovi Maps is just now turning free, Nokia will use it to improve future sales.
I don't follow you. On my N96 I got ovi maps 2 - 3 upgrade. I fail to see what difference the price removal has to do with it. I had some premium software that was updated for free about a year after I bought the phone.

Besides which - everybody else is getting is really the point. Phones much longer in the tooth than the N900 are getting it. I don't think it's an unreasonable to fell let down if all other current phones are getting it but we don't.

It's not like nokia haven't use navigation as a selling point. I'm not sure I'd have bought an N900 if it didn't have GPS - it's not therefore unreasonable to expect that functionality to be properly supported.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wizbowes For This Useful Post:
if the n900 doesnt get the ovi map, then nokia has really drop the ball on their own toe. not only will this be my last nokia, but will also be the last nokia i recommend. so far nokia hasnt shown much support for the phone, the maemo community (this forum) is the only reason why i like this phone.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ austria
That's ridiculous. He said "all GPS enabled nokia smartphones". So, the N900 is no smartphone, but an Internet tablet, or how do they explain this?

i guess they will upgrade maps at some point and maybe add navigation for free ...
but i guess we need to "fight" for that

The Following User Says Thank You to jean2323 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
The reason this isn't on the N900 is that Nokia don't want to put any more dev time into the device beyond bug fixing, and they're putting everything into Maemo 6 which will be their standard platform for all their phones circa 12-18 months.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
Originally Posted by jean2323 View Post
i guess they will upgrade maps at some point and maybe add navigation for free ...
but i guess we need to "fight" for that
So who do we bombard with email s then??

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_bridger For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo can has?