Active Topics

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by sysko View Post
This whole announcement is a good reflection about what's going on @Nokia - they announced 10 devices will get support right away, the top-of-the-line high end model n97 and it's predecessor n95 are not on the list. Way to go.

I would be thrilled to have this on N900 as well but frankly - N900 is a geek/testing device right now on Nokias roadmap and I don't expect them to "waste" resources to produce a better mapping application themselves, there is always Google and community alternatives...

Wayfinder on n810 died a slow death, I expect the same fate to the n900's Ovi maps, but hey - prove me wrong on this one and I'm a very happy camper
I cannot believe they have excluded the n97 !?!

All the hype they gave the phone and it is ignored is priceless.

So let me get this straight cheaper older Nokia phones get this free update but high-end smartphones don't get anything?

F*** me - this is boneheaded!

If anyone has shares in Nokia I'd advise to sell them 2010 is going to be a year Nokia get trampled by the competition!

The next maemo phone will be significatly different which means all the software that has been ported to maemo 5 will have to be changed again. Rather than "evolve" the platform, keep compatibility with prevous software and actually increase the number of apps available. Nokia have decided instead to say f*** it - let's develop the next version of maemo and force developers to waste time editing thier apps so it can run on "new shiney" maemo rather than continue to improve their apps and add features instead.

I know the N900 is a geeky phone and that is fair enough but I paid £500 for it - I expect to get some support from Nokia and be included in developments (free map stuff) like this.

If they start to ignore the N900(maemo 5) and treat it like a second-class product then this will be the last Nokia product I will buy.

The google phones include open-source software and linux too. I will seriously consider them an alternative for my next phone.

No platform is perfect but at least Google have put thier full weight behind thier product.
Even Microsoft - ok thier current mobile platform sucks a*** but at least they supported developers and users too. I hate to think what Microsoft are doing next! They have been eerily quiet recently which means they are definately up to something...

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
I can see it already: 'Fixed in Harmattan'

Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
i dont care what nokia has labelled this product to be, at the end of the day we have paid full price for a product. i expect this premium device to come with service and support from nokia, not from a community.
We already have support from nokia for the advertised features (Exchange support fixes are an example). Free Turn-by-turn navigation was never an advertised feature when I bought the phone. So, if it comes, good, otherwise I don't have much to complain.

Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
even though this community is the only thing thats attractive about n900.
Of course as a comunity we can request more attention to Nokia and promote feature implementation... the maemo guys will hopefully listen.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
N97 is excluded because of the some technical issues. It will be there in a week or so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kopte3 For This Useful Post:
Not good enough Nokia. Not that you're reading of course, but this just isn't cool.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sweden
What the heck is up with all the complaining, it will probably be free för n900 in the near future... Take it easy goddamnit...

The Following User Says Thank You to Hexagoon For This Useful Post:
To all the nay sayers, why shouldn't the Consumer be pissed? Here you are defending a corporation out of love. They're here to make money and the crowd put their money towards them for a high-end device like the N900 and get shot down with shitty support. Did you honestly expect people Wouldn't complain?

N900 Ovi maps sucks ****s anyways. It's a half-baked piece of crap navigation software and Nokia goes along and makes the other exisiting GPS Software on phones Even Better. It really should be in beta.

If Nokia were smart though, they would have released the PR1.1 patch After this news so it was somthing to spin the maemo people off. Marketing 101.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by kopte3 View Post
Annika Pollari (Nokia): We are looking into including other platforms as well in this offer in addition to Symbiansource

And another interesting thing:

source
"We are looking into including other platforms.."

Not convinced! Very non-commiting sounding.

If this was said "We are going to include other platforms.."

Would have sounded much better!

Will not be holding my breath for this anyway this is from a company that launched the free service for other Nokia phones except the N97 (symbian os) - one of thier flagship products

If not the N97 why do you think they will include N900?

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by Jaco2k View Post
Errrr... Where is the turn by turn navigation? the voices and directions?
Not in those apps yet. Lacking voice annunciation of turns they're obviously not as good a navigation device as a dedicated GPS like a TomTom, but can to get there without referring to a paper map.

If I strongly desired the turn by turn functionality, my solution *today* would be buying an 18 month old TomTom from Ebay and using it for the next 6-9 months until the N900 gets closer to dedicated levels of functionality. I'd then sell the old TomTom at a smallish loss, and then use either the included (free) and upgraded version of Ovi Maps, or spend a bit more to get commercial software. The N900 would stay around for all the non-TomTom functions.

Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
Quote from Nokia Michael Halbherr - "N900 owners shouldn't hold their breath, though, as Nokia is focusing on bringing its free navigation service to the next generation of Maemo devices. That's not to say that the N900 won't get it eventually, only that it's not currently on the roadmap. "

I think Herrn Halbherr's statement is a clear indicator that we will not see it at all.
or maybe nokia does not know what they are doing: "Arshia Varlet (Nokia): The N900 will be added to list of compatible devices soon" from http://twitter.com/FoneArena

So who from Nokia is right? I hope Arshia Varlet statement is correct.

The Following User Says Thank You to kaz911 For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo can has?