Active Topics

Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
Yes but more often that not, this is too cumbersome.
I often activate/deactivate the screen dozens of times in the day (to save power).

The remote lock & wipe provide an elegant solution.
There's an autolock you could use too.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
There's an autolock you could use too.
This is only a minor improvement.
If you set the threshold to low (a few minutes), you'll be very annoyed by entering your code dozens of time a day.
If you set the threshold to hight, you'll be very very annoyed when you lose your N900... ;o)

And locking your N900 doesn't mean that you cannot access the hard drive data by other means...

The only problem in "remote locking & wiping" is that you have an inevitable delay between the lost and the lock&wipe (you have to be aware of the lost).

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
could we send a message on screen to the theif or possibly a video. saying give my phone back i know who you are - then take a snap of him with the front camera and post it up- then take a finger print reading- lol
I like how you think! And while were at it, why not electrocute him! And for the message "this phone will self-destruct in five, four,..". ;D

I think an application that remotely locks and/or wipes your phone can be very useful for some people. Something that can "read" every incoming sms in search for a certain structure with a password you set up; result: phone gets locked and sends an sms with gps data of his position to a pre-configured number (friend/family member..); or wipes all the content.
Or better, different messages could trigger different events.. (in case you're unsure you really lost it, and don't want to directly wipe everything)
In the case a thief disables gsm connection or changes sim card, it could be possible to make it work also with email (if set up) or something else on the web, for when the wifi is on...

I like the idea. To lose such a device, containing all the data of your online life + smses and multimedia (photos, videos..) can be a big loss of privacy for some.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
I know that you can lock the phone but it doesn't seem enough and it is quite inconvenient to do it frequently.
Also, it uses DES and can be broken in a couple hours with "jack the ripper" according to a report in these forums.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
what would
Code:
rm -rf /
do?

the command for destroying os & wiping own files is that simple if it works. Not sure though if one must wipe /home first in order to delete private files for good (don't know if that command wipes all files of system because haven't tried it for some mysterious reason).

of course one could fetch data with some undel - software and could be succesfull. but it really requires work to be done.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
For this we first need to have something like a dyndns and/or reverse SSH tunnels...

From there, we need to figure out how to extract all the GPS / Pictures / Fingerprint (haha) and pop d-bus messages on activity.

Al this shouldn't be too hard to setup but still need quite some work to make it usable and not break anything.

Also, i would advise against saying you are about to destroy the phone as the thief might be quick and turn it off... We'd be better erasing it, setting up the boot menu and try to put there a message saying where to write to send it back or some such :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Need to see how much CPU a reverse ssh tunnel would take. An openvpn tunnel is quite a CPU hog sadly.

Of course an alternative is to use the device as a dumb terminal and have all the data in the cloud somewhere and access it via browser... Want to call someone click the phone number and it would dial it. Etc... Then you don't really care about the few bits of data that's left on the phone
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
Renkon, using 911 in such way is very bad idea, not only illegal but also you might be endup being the only reason why someone with real emergency didn't get the help really needed on time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Croc For This Useful Post:
Advanced Device Locks Pro was a very good commercial solution for this on Symbian - http://melonmobile.com/ProductDetail...px?product=206

I bought it for every new Symbian phone I got and would gladly pay for it on the N900