Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
There is no burying my head in the sand. I can guarantee you I use my Nokia the way it was meant to be used. Business IT-Professional, and I have zero problems with it. The things people complain about I consider "fluffware" problems. I personally don't give a **** if the media player doesn't hold a playlist (which apparantly it does, but I've never investigated it). I didn't buy it to listen to music. I can buy a cheap ipod for that.
But surely it was intended as a Media device as well otherwise why 32gb and SD card slot? And if Nokia intended to rule out people who use their phones as media devices then it is no suprise that they are not doing as well as they were in the past. Surely you don't create a device and exclude a huge section of your potential customers.

Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
It does seem that a lot of die hard Maemo people are burying their heads in the sand.

Sorry Im not trying to be antagonistic, I just want to improve things.
This seems like borderline hysteria.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by MontyBravo View Post
however , email : the most basic thing to get right. its poor. and this is not just one person commenting on this but a number of persons, its has been on a number of threads.
Works fine for me.

Really though: how many is that out of the whole, and how many in that set are failing to configure properly?

Data without context is noise.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Works fine for me.

Really though: how many is that out of the whole, and how many in that set are failing to configure properly?

ah gotcha, your fine, everyone else must be talking out of their arse?

I am talking about configuring pop3. there is hardly a lot that can go wrong as far as a user not configuring properly....

To be honest its not worth arguing but if 5 users (me being one) all have the same unresponsive email client, and are not happy this is good enough in my opinion to suggest this problem is wide spread (apart from quite a few posts on this forum about the slow email client problem).

bearing in mind we are developers and it professional. not dumb as **ck end users as some on this forum put it.

To be fair you have ignored the entire context of my post to argue that everyone is not complaining, therefore it must be fine.

Am i a troll ? feel free to ban me if I am lol

MB

Last edited by MontyBravo; 2010-01-21 at 23:11.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by MontyBravo View Post
ah gotcha, your fine, everyone else must be talking out of their arse?

I am talking about configuring pop3. there is hardly a lot that can go wrong as far as a user not configuring properly....

To be honest its not worth arguing but if 5 users (me being one) all have the same unresponsive email client, and are not happy this is good enough in my opinion to suggest this problem is wide spread (apart from quite a few posts on this forum about the slow email client problem).

To be fair you have ignored the entire context of my post to argue that everyone is not complaining, therefore it must be fine.

Am i a troll ? feel free to ban me if I am lol

MB
You completely misread what I said Monty. Ironic.

Oh, and it's utterly impossible in a case like this for the experiences of 5 users to be any where NEAR widespread. Completely defies statistics and probability.

You completely misread what I said Monty. Ironic.

Oh, and it's utterly impossible in a case like this for the experiences of 5 users to be any where NEAR widespread. Completely defies statistics and probability.
Not at all, I am providing context, its not noise. Its a failing of the device which has been reported not just by the odd end user.

Do you understand maths ?

Only a small number of the userbase will report a fault to this forum

so a small number of complaints = a larger number of people having problems within the user base.

This forum is not the only channel for fault reports...

Simple!

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
So I got a perl script proxy working on the n900 to listen on whatever port I want to and forward all traffic to whatever remote machine on whatever remote port.

This essentially means the n900 can now be used as a proxy server from anywhere, to anywhere.

And it's mobile.

The difference between someone who wished the n900 was more user-friendly and someone who hacks around on it, is summed up in this simple perl proxy script. The fact that I can do that on the n900.

An HTC, iPhone, Droid, etc are all probably better suited for people who want flare.

I'll take the mobile proxy server.

I can't sum up the "mindset" any better than this I suppose.
What are you going on about? This is an N900/Maemo forum - the vast majority of people in here have N900's for a reason, they obviously have money to afford any device and chose an N900 I dont think you need to preach to others what is so good about it..

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
This seems like borderline hysteria.
err what?

Works fine for me.

This is exactly what we are talking about - Maemo people need to open their eyes - I sincerely hope Nokia are otherwise we are in trouble.

Have you read the reviews? The blogs? the comments on the forums? The broad opinion is positive.. but that it needs improvement, how can you come to any other conclusion?

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Are you saying the Pre and Android has basics right? If so, I know some Pre and Droid owners (since Android 2.0 is the new kid on the block, as is Maemo 5) and they'd beg to differ.

Spend 2 days on this Droid forum, and tell me that their platform is without issues...after 2 updates:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/

Again, people are still saying that email isn't working correclty (e.g.., duplicate messages, no sync, missing folders, no connection for some providers, deleted messages won't delete "from device" etc.). Verizon had a 2-page bug list after Droid's release,

http://www.electronista.com/articles...s.in.december/

*images sniped*

and things are still broken. How is it any different or better, than what Nokia is doing? Taking in consideration that Nokia has to support not only hardware, but software as well (vs. Google/Motorola)
That proves absolutely nothing but proving my point that people are so damn defensive. The N900 is not perfect and Nokia need to improve it - that all Im saying. How can ANYONE sane possibly argue. The Android handset I had worked very well indeed (softwarewise).. however the CPU was just too slow, the camera was poor and the battery life sucked - it was fundamentally flawed - so I got rid of it for an N900. A great phone, that needs improvement - but surprise surprise Nokia it was released with effectively beta software - so the world have said. Listening to people in this forum is listening to the converted, the geeks, the Nokia fanboys dont people get it!???

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-01-21 at 23:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago
I don't know if it makes any difference, but I have to reboot every day or two. And when I am stuck on a web page, it just drags the computer down. Same thing with watching a video. I am viewing DVD-quality videos and it seems to take all the juice it can to watch (which is expected) but even after I finish watching the movie it takes a while for it to catch up.

We'll see with future firmware updates. I am looking forward to a more mature application set (like mail, conversations) but we'll get there. It's still a great phone!

The Following User Says Thank You to dharder For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dharder View Post
I don't know if it makes any difference, but I have to reboot every day or two. And when I am stuck on a web page, it just drags the computer down. Same thing with watching a video. I am viewing DVD-quality videos and it seems to take all the juice it can to watch (which is expected) but even after I finish watching the movie it takes a while for it to catch up.

We'll see with future firmware updates. I am looking forward to a more mature application set (like mail, conversations) but we'll get there. It's still a great phone!
If you are willing to wait for firmware which should have been on the device at launch you are totally correct!

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
i am a rookie about Maemo, but so far for 2 days of use, i dont encounter any slow stuff, from the outdated software to the latest.