Notices

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I like it, Faheem, very much. Why still a status bar in fullscreen mode? Maybe better an uncluttered screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
There's a problem in searching (ctrl-f): when you write something in the search field, you can't go back and correct with the delete key - it doesn't delete chars, it closes instead the search field.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Hi Faheem,

i updated evince, but it's still not visible as an application with an icon. I have to start the program from the command line...
But great work.

BTW I think I was mistaken about QT and KCHMViewer. I think QT is not used, but the (drop down) menu's don't work alright. But similar menus'are implemented in your latest version of Evince.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by mtjioe View Post
Hi Faheem,

i updated evince, but it's still not visible as an application with an icon. I have to start the program from the command line...
But great work.

BTW I think I was mistaken about QT and KCHMViewer. I think QT is not used, but the (drop down) menu's don't work alright. But similar menus'are implemented in your latest version of Evince.
Hiya,

It should do - NoDisplay was removed from the desktop file and I reinstalled Evince to make sure.

Qt is used, it's just that the Maemo flavour of it tries to use the Hildon widgets where possible.

Still, I dislike Qt and I won't even pretend that I understand it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Hi Faheem,

I deinstalled Catorise, as i suspected a problem with that.
Still Evince didn't show up.
I deinstalled Evince, and later reinstalled Evince, but to no avail...
Still doesn't show up...

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
@mtjioe, I had a similar problem, had Catorise installed as well. But after installing the latest devel release of Evince it got fixed.

@mtjioe: you won't find an icon with an Evince caption. Look for a pic of an E with "document viewer" underneath. If still missing, try to reboot.

Thank you, did another reset, and it showed up!!

Last edited by mtjioe; 2010-08-05 at 05:44.

I've just noticed that links within documents don't quite work yet - it launches another copy of Evince and reports "Unable to open document".

Fantastic work so far, Qwerty! It's getting really usable

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
@querty12 - Thank you for the shortcut list. The version of evince I was playing with was your most recent update (maemo1)

Here are issues I've found with my testing:
1. Upon app start, I get an error message "Unable to open document Error opening file: No such file or directory". Pressing "Close" button fixes this issue. Would like to instead have either no doc loaded at start or previous doc at start. Or perhaps load previous doc at start unless it does not exist, then load nothing.

2. There are three screen modes:
2a. Doc view with Maemo header on top and Evince toolbar below.
2b. Doc view with Evince toolbar on bottom (I believe this is what you are referring to as "full screen mode")
2c. Doc view only (called "presentation mode"?) Reached by tapping gold medal with blue ribbon icon while in mode 2b.
I'd really like to see view 2b go away or as an alternative, remove the Evince toolbar in view 2b and remove view 2c. I agree with you in that the usability in view 2b is better (on screen panning, zooming, and page turning all work right now exactly the way I think they should). That Evince toolbar just wastes far too much screen real estate, especially when reading in portrait mode. Please do keep <ctrl> + <enter> as the shortcut to toggle full screen mode.

3. (minor) Is it possible to put the keyboard shortcuts in the "About" screen? Add a third button below "Credits" and "License"? This may save new users from asking over and over again.

Don't forget keyboard shortcut <ctrl> + "p" (for printing )

Other than the issues listed above (1 and 2 really), Evince is working as well as I'd expect an application downloaded from the maemo.org non-extras catalog. I've left it running in the background for a day with no memory leaks or abnormal battery usage. I'm tesing it with a 2GB ebook, 388 pages, that Evince loads and renders new screens in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks again!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speednut For This Useful Post: