If anything can be said is that Nokia bungled this announcement. The miscommunication is contrary to the reason for having a press conference in the first place. Nokia is playing coy with N900 owners something they clearly find a hard time as defining us. I'm guessing they look at us as some halfwits who don't mind the perks of owning a Nokia. Probably they see us as too geeky for maps ... which is why Nokia is out of touch in the smartphone selling arena. They are baffled at the success of the N900, and they probably see it as a beta hardware reaching mass appeal. Instead of doubling down on support and initiative they are probably playing a containment strategy of intentionally stunting the growth and popularity of the N900 just because it doesn't match the expectations they planned on. This has to be the case why Nokia doesn't seem eager to embrace Maemo fully, and why Symbian gets all the love, as their plan of Maemo is from 6 and onward.

They are forgetting the success of Maemo 6 rests on the opinions of people who own a Maemo 5 device.

N900 owners only want to know why Ovi Maps as it is in Symbian is not ready for Maemo. Also when will it be available. A strategy of offering a better service for lower end phones makes the consumer think twice as to why pay more ... why not use that money and get a Android 2.0 powered phone.

This press release leaves much more to be desired, I am dissappointed once more by Nokia, wonder if I have the patience to endure a future mess up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Am I the only one that sees this announcement as a good thing?

In the near future, it means that Maemo and Symbian phones will have premium maps with turn-by-turn technology via Qt thus reducing the amount of differences between the two platforms and allows for Nokia to consolidate their efforts and bring out more features and "stuff" for all of their phones?

Simply put, there will be a parity between all future releases of stuff like Ovi Maps and whatnot... a good thing.

Sucks it didn't happen today, but it will. If it's announced as Maemo 6 only THEN get upset.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ovi mpas has been in symbian devlopmet for 3-4 years

you cant expect them to magic it out of the thin air for maemo which is relatively new in the phone world etc

when you bought the device it wasnt advertised as having full turn by turn sat nav but it was a work in progress

now other handsets have a new version of maps and a full liscence everyone seems to feel hard done by all of a sudden :-)

cmon peeps if we get ''free'' maps it will be a very nice bonus as we didnt expect it , however we did expect to have a working version of maps but again there was no time frame for this was there so we should just be patient

iam sure they are working on it as we speak

not at all i think its a brilliant idear and iam really happy to see it

i cant understand why people are feeling a bit hard done by , we never expected a free version of maps and iam sure they are working on voice guidance as we speak also sygic has been submitted to ovi and nokia so that should be avalaible soon

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Am I the only one that sees this announcement as a good thing?

In the near future, it means that Maemo and Symbian phones will have premium maps with turn-by-turn technology via Qt thus reducing the amount of differences between the two platforms and allows for Nokia to consolidate their efforts and bring out more features and "stuff" for all of their phones?

Simply put, there will be a parity between all future releases of stuff like Ovi Maps and whatnot... a good thing.

Sucks it didn't happen today, but it will. If it's announced as Maemo 6 only THEN get upset.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
I saw the same post in Nokia Discussion Forum about Maps being 97% complete, and first agreed that probably the just adding the voice guiding would make Ovi Maps for Maemo at least a bit usable, and that doesn't seem to need heavy coding.

But then I wondered, and all the other features they are just announcing for free in Ovi Maps 3.0 like traffic information, guides and so on?? First I tough Ovi Maps for Maemo would catch up with Ovi Maps 3.0 for S60 in order to unify the product versions, with just minor adjustments for each platform. But if Nokia plans to keep the Maemo version as a separate product I am sure we won't have all the features from Symbian before the next Maemo device.
Simple - make it in Qt so it will work on Maem 5 and upcoming Maemo 6 as well as the new Symbian versions. I don't see why it wouldn't be worth doing as it will cover so many devices.

PS. I'm on page 7 of 17 so if anyone else has said that before me, sorry!

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Simple - make it in Qt so it will work on Maem 5 and upcoming Maemo 6 as well as the new Symbian versions. I don't see why it wouldn't be worth doing as it will cover so many devices.

PS. I'm on page 7 of 17 so if anyone else has said that before me, sorry!
Qt based apps must be under development now. 4.6 was just out and 4.7 is bringing a lot to table. So, getting it out based on Qt will not happen now. There are some differences between M5 and M6 UI and they need different UI code even if they code it in Qt. Also, turn-by-turn navigation needs text to speech converter. This is still not available on Maemo from Nokia. So, there is a lot which needs development and my guess is Nokia is in fix. if they spend time on M5, they will get delayed on M6.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Sort of semi-related, I'm looking forward to paying for some cool apps. I'm not ever going to be ready to pay a monthly fee for something (well, maybe Rhapsody), but under a hundred bucks for something really neat? I'm there.

(Edit Netflix Instant Watch for the N900 is something else I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee for...)

Originally Posted by pns View Post
Qt based apps must be under development now. 4.6 was just out and 4.7 is bringing a lot to table. So, getting it out based on Qt will not happen now. There are some differences between M5 and M6 UI and they need different UI code even if they code it in Qt. Also, turn-by-turn navigation needs text to speech converter. This is still not available on Maemo from Nokia. So, there is a lot which needs development and my guess is Nokia is in fix. if they spend time on M5, they will get delayed on M6.
Fair enough. And if they move the N900 to M6, what's the downside?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio, Finland
Also when considering Nokia's futureplans, it must be taken into account that new to-come Symbian UI Nokia proposed few days ago, looks awfully lot like Maemo/Fremantle UI. This most likely is to move into QT-powered seamless architecture between low-end symbian and high-end high-capability maemo devices.

i want TBT navigation on my n900 Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to REMFwhoopitydo For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo can has?